We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus in the garden March 2010  (Read 43684 times)

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Re: Crocus in the garden March 2010
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2010, 09:07:08 PM »
We have a sunny day here, though with a bitterly cold northerly wind

Cold and sunny here too but in the sun these first Tommasinianus Roseus popped up and opened for a few hours much to my delight and the bees who found them straight away - gorgeous colour  :D

Maybe with the help of the bees they will spread  ::)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2010, 09:09:54 PM »
One of my favourites. First shots of C. chrysanthus "Blue Bird", nicely contrasted

Really striking Armin, a lovely crocus  8)

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2010, 09:47:27 PM »
Today 2 "tommies" in flower: first 'Barr's Purple' and second 'Ruby Giant'
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

Hristo

« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2010, 09:56:51 PM »
Nice RR, great to see them up through the grass, I am guessing you don't have too big a vole population! ;)
'Barr's Purple', always quality Kris!!
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2010, 10:01:46 PM »
Thanks Hristo,  even though I only have a few they really stand out in the dry meadow grass and I love watching them open and close as they day progresses - the best news is that every bulb seems to have survived and no sign of a vole only a hole  ;D

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2010, 10:18:51 PM »
One of my favourites. First shots of C. chrysanthus "Blue Bird", nicely contrasted
Armin, 'Blue Bird' buds are awesome.
Really striking Armin, a lovely crocus  8)

Many thanks Mark Mc and Robin, 'Blue Bird' is a thankfully cultivar. :)

Robin,
'Roseus' is vertile and setting lots of seed. Good chances for a tommie meadow / pink carpet ;D
Best wishes
Armin

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2010, 10:44:05 PM »
Today 2 "tommies" in flower: first 'Barr's Purple' and second 'Ruby Giant'

Good shots Kris, I will be coming back to those photos in a couple days when my 'Barr's Purple' is out, and my previously posted mystery crocus (came as minimus) which looks like Ruby Giant or Whitehall Purple, so that I can compare.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

TheOnionMan

« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2010, 12:45:16 AM »
Four years ago I started scratching in seed (in situ) produced on various named C. chrysanthus hybrids (I also dabbed pollen).  Last year I saw a few precocious hybrids bloom, this year many more are blooming.  The Croci in this particular circular bed (a "shrub ring") include C. chrysanthus 'Goldilocks', 'Advance', 'Blue Pearl', 'Prins Claus', and species fleischeri and etruscus 'Rosalind'.  Not far away (3 meters) is another "tree ring" with 8-9 more crocus varieties, the bees can get around.  The seedlings all vary, sometimes in subtle ways, but I love em all :D  The ones that show obvious influence from Advance have that unique pale coppery color.  Looking at my photo library documenting the past 10 years, my C. chysanthus types are blooming 2 weeks earlier than ever before, although the bees were already out and about.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

TheOnionMan

« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2010, 12:49:04 AM »
And a few more C. chrysanthus seedling hybrids:
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

hardytropicalguy

• Flower Farm and Gardens Blog
« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2010, 04:10:52 AM »
I know this is not the most exciting species but I discovered these two clumps on the side of the house were I didn't think there were any crocus growing go figure.   ::) c. tommasinianus

The first is pale and in a true color on my monitor but there is a bluish tinge to the naked eye that caught my fancy.

The second I will call the mega-clump for obvious reasons.  I counted at least 70+ flowers in another picture I took and the blossoms are layered so I am guessing 100?
Tedd Gorman
Southwest Lower Michigan, USA USDA Zone 6a
http://flowerfarmandgardens.blogspot.com/

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2010, 07:06:11 AM »
Sorry it should be Sveti Roc- thanks Mark. I believe it is named after the place it was collected near in Croatia. In Bulgarian 'Sveti' or Свети would mean 'Saint', the word for flower in Bulgarian Цвете would transliterate as 'Tsvete'. I don't know what they would be in Croatian, but it would be normal here to have a place named after a saint, or saints, such as Sveti Vlas, so Roc may be a Croatian saint.
I found a Catholic Saint Roch- so maybe this is it. The 'c' in Croatian alphabert could be for a 'ts', 'ch' or 'tch' sound depending on the notation above the letter 'c' the Roman alphabet never really transliterates well from from other alphabets.

Sveti Roc - I think that it mean Light Hill or Light Mount, may be Saint Hill. Sveti can be from slavic svetlij - light and from svjatoi - saint, Roc - can be fate, hill. I suppose that it was named by mountain on which it was collected, but may be I'm wrong.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Hristo

« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2010, 08:02:27 AM »
Nice 'back catalogue' of hybrids Mark! Impressive clumps hardytropicalguy.
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2010, 08:48:53 AM »
Sorry it should be Sveti Roc- thanks Mark. I believe it is named after the place it was collected near in Croatia. In Bulgarian 'Sveti' or Свети would mean 'Saint', the word for flower in Bulgarian Цвете would transliterate as 'Tsvete'. I don't know what they would be in Croatian, but it would be normal here to have a place named after a saint, or saints, such as Sveti Vlas, so Roc may be a Croatian saint.
I found a Catholic Saint Roch- so maybe this is it. The 'c' in Croatian alphabert could be for a 'ts', 'ch' or 'tch' sound depending on the notation above the letter 'c' the Roman alphabet never really transliterates well from from other alphabets.

Sveti Roc - I think that it mean Light Hill or Light Mount, may be Saint Hill. Sveti can be from slavic svetlij - light and from svjatoi - saint, Roc - can be fate, hill. I suppose that it was named by mountain on which it was collected, but may be I'm wrong.
Janis
The information I have is that C.malyi 'Sveti Roc' (or 'Sveti Rok') was collected by Antoine Hoog (AH 8651) in  Croatia  "on the  road from Obrovac to Sveti Rok". You can find the road on Google maps.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2010, 10:01:44 AM »
Lovely hybrids Mc Mark !!  Some lovely shades there !
Nr 1 strongly resembles one of mine that I showed a couple of weeks ago !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2010, 11:43:32 AM »
here are some self sown C.vernus hybrids these came from a garden that had crocus in it for at least 30 years,the owner game me a trowl and told me to help myself these are just a tiny few.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal