We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus Events 2009  (Read 125639 times)

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Re: Galanthus Events 2009
« Reply #480 on: February 18, 2009, 02:14:20 AM »
…..My day started at 7.30am as usual, sitting in front of a desk in London WC1. My mind could not concentrate on my computer coding as I knew that only a few hours remained until I would be attending the first RHS London show of 2009. 

This year the RHS have decided that monthly shows are not to be!… and just 5 London shows a year is the way to go.  I have been concerned since reading about the reduction in the number of monthly London shows as I have always looked forward to getting out of the office once a month to relieve my S.A.D.  January seemed particularly long without an afternoon off work to attend.

I am surprised to say, but I think the new format for the show worked well.  There were more exhibitors than usual and there was a real buzz to the day.  Both the Lawrence Hall and Lindley Hall were in use and I met many interesting people.

Arriving at midday I immediately met up with Alan who pointed out Avon bulb's 'G. Green Tear' - a wonderful drop indeed.  Not yet for sale. 
105578-0

The next drop to catch my eye was a lovely G. Plicatus Byzantinus named 'Conquest' which was on the Broadleigh display.
105580-1

Next I had a chat with Joe Sharman, I couldn't help but notice the collection of Galanthus in his button hole.  Among them was 'floccon de neige' - I have never been quite sure of this flower from the photographs - but in the flesh... WOW!  What a little beauty.

A tap on my shoulder and I met my second Forum member of the day - JohnW from Nova Scotia.  This seemed a good point to stop for a coffee so John, his partner and I left the throng and found a nearby coffee shop for a relaxing chat.  It was then time to return to the halls - for the plants being considered behind closed doors by the joint rock committee to be displayed on the dais to the hoi polloi.  Unfortunately the Halls do not have the best lighting so any photos are rather hard work (here are a few pictures that turned out ok).

G. Ronald Mackenzie
105582-2

The card that accompanied G. Ronald Mackenzie (nivalis?)
105584-3

G. Diggory
105586-4

G. reginae olgae 'John Marr'
105588-5

Foxgrove display
105590-6

Avon display
105592-7

Broadleigh display
105594-8

Cheers

John

« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 05:47:19 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #481 on: February 18, 2009, 09:02:43 AM »
G. Ronald Mackenzie
(Attachment Link)

The card that accompanied G. Ronald Mackenzie (nivalis?)
(Attachment Link)

Cheers

John
I don't think nivalis comes in that pattern, green or yellow. As Martin says, it must be mostly gracilis?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 05:40:30 PM by Anthony Darby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #482 on: February 18, 2009, 09:42:15 AM »
Thanks John for a trip round the London Show.  Nearly tempted to come, but the good weather meant gardening had to take priority.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #483 on: February 18, 2009, 09:52:51 AM »
I now see what you mean about Conquest John, another lovely addition.  Thanks for the visual treat.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #484 on: February 18, 2009, 10:21:03 AM »
John,

What would we do without you. Obviously, I can't run out of the office to attend the London Shows but in the last few years I can enjoy the highlights from your photographs.

G. 'Ronald McKenzie' is the one I most like from the photographs posted and G. 'Conquest' would be a second choice. 'RMcK' is simply a dote, beautifully shaped and nicely marked.

Have you ever tried daylight bulbs to help with your S.A.D.? Apparently, they work quite well. Personally, I am sad the whole year through regardless of light levels.

Many thanks, John.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #485 on: February 18, 2009, 10:31:07 AM »
I don't think nivalis comes in that pattern, green or yellow. As Martin says, it must be mostly gracilis?

'Ronald Mackenzie' has been described as a yellow version of 'Daglingworth', which is either pure gracilis or a gracilis hybrid found growing naturalised in woodland (the finder, the late Ruth Birchall, told me not in 'wild' woodland as was generally believed but within the grounds of a building, so obviously planted there within recent years, presumably as imported elwesii/graciclis bulbs). I assume this yellow version was found in the same place. Looks like someone assumed that it must be a nivalis variant if it was found as a 'wild' seedling as the card says. I'm pretty sure it's gracilis.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #486 on: February 18, 2009, 10:33:44 AM »
Oops! Accidentally mis-spelled Ron Mackenzie's name in that last post. It is of course 'Ronald Mackenzie', not 'Makenzie'.

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #487 on: February 18, 2009, 11:45:30 AM »
Thanks for the show pics John, I wish I'd stayed in the SE and gone to it. As it was I went home via the A303 and M5 and got stuck for 3 hours when they closed the motorway one junction before mine >:( >:( :-X because of a lorry fire.

I had visitors coming for dinner and instead of getting home at 5.30 it was 8.30 and then I had to cook a 3 course gordon blue.   I just kept the bottle going round.

Daglingworth is out in my garden at the mo and is a bit fatter than R McK. Gracilis forms and vars are somehow very graceful looking. I wonder how long we'll have to wait for it to become available.

And there I was all pleased with my plants from the gala, now I'm craving again  ;D ;D

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
« Reply #488 on: February 18, 2009, 12:37:29 PM »
'Ronald Mackenzie' was listed in Ron's The Snowdrop Company catalogue this year at £50. It'll probably be sold out by now for this season as he said he had limited stock. Maybe he'll offer it again next year.

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #489 on: February 18, 2009, 02:12:35 PM »
Thanks Martin. Is The Snowdrop Company online or do I need to send for a list ? I googled it but didn't find a website :(

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #490 on: February 18, 2009, 02:36:53 PM »
Hi Jo

any of these types of questions it is always worth doing a search on SRGC in addition to the major search engines - I just say this as I know I asked this question on here in 2006, and Rob asked it in 2007 or 8.  I would guess that a search on the old or new forum would come up with some info.

You need to write with SAE for a catalogue:

Dr R Mackenzie
The Snowdrop Company
Barn Cottage
Shilton
Oxon
OX18 4AB

When I first wrote for the catalogue I got it at this time of year with a nice note explaining that most things were sold out - but they did manage to find me a Primrose Warberg even though I was very late with my order.  :D

Regards

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Mavers

« Reply #491 on: February 18, 2009, 03:27:34 PM »
Thanks for the lovely pictures of the RHS show John. Wish I lived closer & could attend the RHS shows more easily.

I love 'Green Tear' especially. I live about 25miles from Avon Bulbs so perhaps Alan may let me have a peek at it in the flesh.

Do you think the snowdrops are grown in pots for the show or are the clumps dug from the open ground & potted?

I'm beginning to think a lot of growers have their specials in pots. Several ebay sellers mention that 'the bulb will be taken from the pot it is growing in'.
Mike
Somerset, UK

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #492 on: February 18, 2009, 03:45:12 PM »
Hi Mike

I have often wondered about that myself and had decided that they must all be pot grown. 

Then yesterday I was chatting to Ronald Mackenzie about one of his show plants and said that I doubted it would look so good if it was growing in the ground - he told me that he had dug it up out of his garden soil the previous day.  So now I am not sure what the norm is.   :-\

Looking at the plants yesterday they all looked perfect so maybe it is a case of choosing what looks best whether it be in the ground or in a pot.   8)

Cheers

John
John

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #493 on: February 18, 2009, 04:17:05 PM »
Maybe galanthus are forgiving about being dug up and repotted and do not suffer total collapse as many plants would if given this type of treatment..... but what would you do if you left it to the last minute like that and then you had a deep frost or a foot of snow????
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #494 on: February 18, 2009, 04:19:46 PM »
but what would you do if you left it to the last minute like that and then you had a deep frost or a foot of snow????

I guess you wouldn't show it!   ::)   ;D

John
John

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal