We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Gentiana ID please  (Read 955 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Gentiana ID please
« on: December 13, 2013, 02:12:25 PM »
Don't know much about Gentians so here is one from a batch of small plants given to me by my friend Mike Quest possibly from seed given to him by Stella Tracey. Could anyone ID it for me please?

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: Gentiana ID please
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 05:17:29 PM »
Looks like G. acaulis to me, David ... little to distinguish it from those we see all over the Alps.  Others will probably disagree, but that is the beauty of the acaulis grex.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 06:39:05 PM »
Thank you Cliff. I've looked it up in the very excellent "Mountain Flowers-The Dolomites" by a certain Cliff Booker and David Charlton [ISBN 978-0-9571628-0-8] (a MUST for every Christmas List) and it looks spot on.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 10:20:04 AM »
Thank you Cliff. I've looked it up in the very excellent "Mountain Flowers-The Dolomites" by a certain Cliff Booker and David Charlton [ISBN 978-0-9571628-0-8] (a MUST for every Christmas List) and it looks spot on.

Did you mean this one, David?   ;) :D ::)

http://www.colletts.co.uk/dolomites/mountain-flowers-the-dolomites/

« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 10:24:21 AM by ranunculus »
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 08:22:35 PM »
Yes, that's the one. ;)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal