We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Nomocharis  (Read 7306 times)

kalle-k.dk

• Karl Kristensen's Garden
Re: Nomocharis
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 04:58:04 AM »
Nomocharis gongshanensis
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 08:06:56 AM »
Very attractive Karl!!!
This Nomocharis is high up on my wants list!
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2014, 08:20:47 AM »
Ah you lucky thing Karl. You have n gongshanensis flowering. Was it from bjornar seed? Hopefully mine will flower this year
Great saluensis Cyril, seeing yours  I realise I have never had it.
Nomocharis bulbs just get bigger and bigger very rarely splitting, I have had some as big as tennis balls. Scales come well but risk of transferring virus then is high.
Latestart, seed should germinate quickly if you find any at dunblane, I have sown all mine otherwise I would have brought some. Once it germinates make sure it doesn't get touched by a late frost, keep it shaded, best keep it frost free for first winter then plant them out next spring. I find planting out young plants is usually best. Keep off the slugs
Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Thorkild Godsk

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2014, 08:24:01 AM »
Susan & johnw.
Thanks for the help.
I've had Nomocharis for many years that the virus may be an issue that should perhaps replant every 3 years? My soil mix is peat, coarse sand and Leca 2-4mm. The soil mix should be very airy, it's the same soil mix you use? I am sending a picture with shadows, maybe it's virus? It is the same as the picture 2 finlayorum, I'm almost sure it's a Jens Nielsen collection in Sichuan and Yunnan, but not quite sure when I do not have a list from the collection more.
Sorry my English, I hope it is ok for yuo that I use Google Translate.

Kindly Thorkild

Thorkild.dk

kalle-k.dk

• Karl Kristensen's Garden
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2014, 04:39:04 PM »
Yes Susan I think my gongshanensis come from Bjørnar seeds, I got it from a Norwegian friend last year and I look forward to see it this year again. According to Flora of China there is seven species: China, India, Myanmar; six species (two endemic) in China: http://flora.huh.harvard.edu/china/PDF/PDF24/nomocharis.pdf 
But they don't mention gongshanensis and Lilium oxypetalum which I believe belongs to Nomocharis.
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

Cyril L

• "Squirrel"
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2014, 09:20:44 PM »
Splendid Nomocharis there Susuan and Cyril - what a treat.

Thorkild you have lovely ones as well no matter what they are.   Latestart -  I've never seen a Nomocharis I didn't like so just take the plunge and grow some seed.  They are slow for the first 3 years here in Nova Scotia.

Pontus  - I've been growing N.s for 25 or more years and I cannot say I have ever had so much as a single offset.  Susan? Cyril?  I suppose one might try rooting a few scales but better by seed as virus buildup is a serious concern, I've had to toss my oldest ones and that is painful.

johnw

You are right John, I don't get any offsets.

what a beautifull plant the saulensis is, ! I had never seen it before! Please let me know if you ever get some seed...or maybe a small offset in time..:)

Pontus
If it sets seeds, I'll try to remember.
Cyril
Scotland

latestart

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2014, 11:58:20 PM »
Thank you Johnw and Susan, i will definitely have a go if I can get my hands on some seeds. I agree there will be no disappointment with this one. They are all beautiful. I have taken note of your growing instructions.

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 06:49:29 AM »
Thorklid, are you meaning the darker pink? I think this is just one of the lovely variations in seedlings which we have been talking about. You plant looks okay to me. Virus shows up with twisting of leaves and flower buds. They are easy to grow from your own seed and then you can try them in different parts of the garden to minimise the risk. Your compost must be good as they are growing well, don't change anything.  Susan
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 06:52:48 AM by Susan Band »
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

latestart

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2014, 10:09:07 PM »
Thank you Johnw and Susan, i will definitely have a go if I can get my hands on some seeds. I agree there will be no disappointment with this one. They are all beautiful. I have taken note of your growing instructions.

I was successful in obtaining seed in Dunblane. I got 2998 N. mixed, 2999 N. aperta, and 3000 N. farreri. I will do my best to grow them to flowering stage. Thank you for your encouragement. 

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal