We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: What am I doing wrong?  (Read 946 times)

Pennine Wanderer

What am I doing wrong?
« on: March 18, 2013, 11:07:00 AM »
I currently have two Fritillaria coming into flower.  Fritillaria Carica which I bought as bulbs last autumn and Fritillaria Drenovskii which I have grown from seed, sown in 2008.  The flower stems of both plants are lying parallel to the compost instead of standing upright.  They have been fed with a weak solution of tomato feed and kept sufficiently watered.  Any suggestions as to why they are doing this and what I have done wrong would be gratefully appreciated.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
Re: What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 01:11:33 PM »
I find this is a characteristic of many fritillaria species and as the buds develop they will elongate and stand upright. Many times the flowers actually open in this position and then gradually the stem grows.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Gerry Webster

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 03:01:37 PM »
Tony may well be right though I have never experienced this myself. If the stems look strong & healthy I imagine they will sort themselves out but if they look weak or as if they had wilted they may be suffering from a fungal infection ("keel over disease"). I haven't heard of incidents of this recently but 10 or so years ago it seems to have been fairly common & F. carica was said to be particularly susceptible.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 03:58:13 PM »
If you look at my picture of Arthur's frit -reply 25 on the Fritillaria 2013 thread you can probably see this is exactly how it started and actually opened its flowers at ground level. It is now almost upright.

edit by maggi to add link to the post mentioned above :
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=10042.msg269467#msg269467
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 04:42:19 PM by Maggi Young »
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Pennine Wanderer

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 03:47:32 PM »
Many thanks Tony & Gerry for your comments and to Maggie for the thread.  I will wait to see what happens.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 02:37:51 PM »
I currently have two Fritillaria coming into flower.  Fritillaria Carica which I bought as bulbs last autumn and Fritillaria Drenovskii which I have grown from seed, sown in 2008.  The flower stems of both plants are lying parallel to the compost instead of standing upright.  They have been fed with a weak solution of tomato feed and kept sufficiently watered.  Any suggestions as to why they are doing this and what I have done wrong would be gratefully appreciated.
I find this is a characteristic of many fritillaria species and as the buds develop they will elongate and stand upright. Many times the flowers actually open in this position and then gradually the stem grows.
Tony may well be right though I have never experienced this myself. If the stems look strong & healthy I imagine they will sort themselves out but if they look weak or as if they had wilted they may be suffering from a fungal infection ("keel over disease"). I haven't heard of incidents of this recently but 10 or so years ago it seems to have been fairly common & F. carica was said to be particularly susceptible.
I observed this for the first time in 30 years of growing frits this morning in F. tubiformis. The plant appears to be quite healthy & all the plants  around are upright.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal