We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cornish Granite gravel at Aldi  (Read 5822 times)

SJW

Re: Cornish Granite gravel at Aldi
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 11:29:37 AM »
Hi Alberto, can I just clarify? You grow all your cyclamen and eg South African bulbs just in pots of pure granite grit with no other material (loam, grit sand, leaf mould etc) added? I assume you have to water and perhaps feed more often? And how do the 'woodland' species such as C. purpurascens or repandum cope with this regime? I'm intrigued, and will try this out for a few bulbs when I repot this summer to see what results I get. Regards, Steve.
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 03:57:35 PM »
Managed to track down the Aldi in Cambridge and found the gravel in a 'remainders' bin after a few walks round the store.  Reduced to £1.49 a bag so more expensive than up north but nonetheless I got myself a couple of bags. 
Almost in Scotland.

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 05:07:28 PM »
Lucky you.  I went to my local store this afternoon to find the price still £1.99
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

fredg

• Carnivorous Plants & Friends
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 10:22:41 AM »
This is great for carnivorous plants. The granite is acid and can be used as a topping, mixed with peat or as some have been doing growing in pure granite. I'd already stocked up fairly well at the full price and as I was passing yesterday noticed the 99p tag. I'll empty the boot when MrsG isn't looking ::)
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
Mansfield Notts. UK Zone 8b

http://fredg.boards.net/

brianw

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 09:35:50 AM »
According to one link Google supplied, extracting China Clay produces 6 tonnes of sand (grit?) for each tonne of China Clay, which makes up the vast spoil heaps in Cornwall. So why is it so difficult to get hold of this product? Can this be acquired locally by any forum members. I know the grading process would put up any price but having never got up close and personal to these heaps I don't know what the size range of this sand is. The pH is said to be ~4.
There was a company in Bournemouth that supplied bagged Cornish grit commercially at one time. My supplier in the Cotswolds went out of business a year or so back.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal