We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Problems with the plastic tunnel  (Read 1737 times)

frits.kp

• I love rare and unusual plants
    • http://gardentalks.wordpress.com
Re: Problems with the plastic tunnel
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 07:00:27 PM »
My two cat used to run along the tunnel. I put a small border either side and planted a griselinia hedge along the full length. They stopped almost immediately, why, I don't know, coincidence ? possibly. but it worked.
http://gardentalks.wordpress.com
twitter @Stachyurus_man

Gerry Webster

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 08:13:03 PM »
;D ;D ;D and with apologies to all cat lovers but it really gets me down.
I wonder if the cat lovers in your neighbourhood ever apologise to you? If it is like mine, I doubt it. Cat lovers think it is funny.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 08:28:00 PM »
I wonder if the cat lovers in your neighbourhood ever apologise to you? If it is like mine, I doubt it. Cat lovers think it is funny.

You're spot on Gerry, the ones I've had a go at just laughed at me. They are the ones who get a surreptitious spadeful dumped in their garden. Mrs N. cringes!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 08:14:12 AM »
A low single-strand electric fence a kitty-tail height is very effective - one shock and you never see them again...

Another partly successful strategy is to drape the greenhouse in shade/hail cloth to give them a better purchase when they are scrambling up - there is still some damage to the plastic, but the cloth takes most of the strain.

I love cats, but not some of their annoying habits and have learnt to put up with a little bit of damage here and there; it's their wholesale destruction of small, innocent wriggly creatures that drives me wild with anger!
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

John85

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 08:56:10 AM »
Ralph
I had the same idea:putting a layer of sacrificial plastic in top .The problem is that there must be a gap between the two layers of 1'' otherwise the claws 'll pierce them both.How to do it?It must be "stormproof"!
Rogan
Can you give us a little more information about the electric fence please?Is it the same as the one used for cattle?Or is it a less powerful version of it?

David
Shame on you.All that free organic concentrate manure  and you are complaining!!!!
Ask your neighbours to do what I did:as my cat used to use my sandbeds as loo,I made him his own small one and trained him to use that one only.The  other cats then want to put their smell on top of his and...nearly no more problems in the garden!

Gerry Webster

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 10:00:50 AM »

David
Shame on you.All that free organic concentrate manure  and you are complaining!!!!.....

Not to mention the free toxoplasmosis.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 12:00:05 PM »
Oh dear, oh dear! Cats do divide opinion, don't they? As the servant of two of the little darlings, I have to declare an interest. But, as mentioned above, they can be trained to go elsewhere. Hey ho, time for a nap.....
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal