We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus, September, 2013  (Read 11085 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Crocus, September, 2013
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2013, 10:30:12 PM »
I think you could have Crocus vallicola outside ,Margaret . We have some in a little raised sand bed and in a pot sitting in an open frame which theoretically gets a cover in the worst weather but in fact seldom does get covered.

It is a very lovely crocus-  one of Ian's favourites.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Margaret

« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2013, 09:13:17 AM »

Thank you, Maggi. I notice Pottertons have one to sell. I don't know anything about crocus but it seems a bit late to sell spring bulbs. I've emailed them to check if it will be OK or if it's in a pot.  If I get it I will be checking Ian's Bulb Log again to find out how to look after it. It can be sure of lots of TLC.
Margaret
Greenwich

Gerry Webster

« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2013, 09:49:43 AM »
Could C. vallicola be grown in the garden or does it need an alpine house? It is very beautiful.

I had  C. vallicola in the open garden years ago & although it grew & flowered the flowers looked miserable & lasted less than a day. I suspect it needed much cooler conditions than I could provide. So, my experience of the plant is much like that of Marcus.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Margaret

« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2013, 10:16:35 AM »

Thank you, Gerry. I have lots of cooler spots in the garden but they are shady. Wouldn't this be a problem for a crocus?
Margaret
Greenwich

Gerry Webster

« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2013, 11:21:52 AM »
Thank you, Gerry. I have lots of cooler spots in the garden but they are shady. Wouldn't this be a problem for a crocus?
Shade might be a problem.
If it is of any help,  Mathew describes the habitat of C. vallicola as "open subalpine pastures & alpine turf......1000-2800 (- 3000) metres".
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Margaret

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2013, 02:58:28 PM »

Thanks, Gerry.  I am now thinking how to fit a cold frame on to my allotment which is sunny. This would give me some scope to grow more of the lovely flowers I read about on the SRGC.
Margaret
Greenwich

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2014, 06:58:27 PM »
I grew it outside in partly shaded spot for many years but lost from rodents or in very hard winter. Now I'm growing it only in pots - safe against both...
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal