We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Disa and/or Pleione seed sources  (Read 1044 times)

GordonT

Disa and/or Pleione seed sources
« on: January 03, 2014, 10:43:48 PM »
I am hopeful that 2014 will be the year I finally attempt to grow Disas from seed, and possibly Pleiones as well. There are virtually no Canadian suppliers of Disa plants, so I must resort to starting from scratch. I understand Silverhill Seeds in South Africa has seed of a few species available, but I am wondering if anyone will have extra seed of hybrid plants that I could purchase, or if there are any other recommended sources of seed.

Concerning Pleione, I know of only one Canadian source- Fraser's Thimble Farms, which has a few varieties on offer, but I can see from the forum that the hotbed for Pleione breeding seems to be the UK. Perhaps starting with Disa and other terrestrials would be advantageous, but the thread about symbiotic culture of seed on cardboard has me curious how well it might work with Pleione seeds.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Danshi

Re: Disa and/or Pleione seed sources
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 10:02:45 AM »
Guus might be willing to help you out with some Pleione seeds, although I'm sceptical if you'll get viable seedlings on cardboard. Disa will probably be easier in that regard.
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=11137.0
Greetings, Daniel
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 10:06:24 AM by Danshi »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal