We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Shaftesbury's Inaugural Snowdrop Study, Sale & Social Day 15th February 2014  (Read 19804 times)

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
Both Jan and I would like to pass on our congratulations to ALL those involved with the organisation of the event today,and what a great idea getting the students from the local school involved as well

It was just as things should be a nice relaxed event,a very social gathering,a great meeting of forumists as well

Had a nice stroll around the town afterwards  apart from the minor slip up on our way back to the town  ;D those who saw us both will understand  ;D

A few pictures from today and a picture of a pile of stones that we passed on the way home

Looking forward to next year  :)  :)  :)  ;)
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
I was hoping that Maggi and Ian would show up.  Their badges were ready and waiting at the door.

And we were missing one or two others who I did think were coming.  I hope everyone is okay.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 09:22:51 PM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Glad you all had a wonderful time...what a marvellous cake!!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Ian had a busy day at Dunblane for the Early Bulb Day - he's  on the stage in the first of Stan's photos, setting up the sound and projection stuff - not sure if he got cake but he did get a bacon butty and soup.

I thought I would be in Dunblane too but that didn't work out because of dog sitting issues and one which was poorly yesterday - so I missed all the talks and all the wonderful  baking in Dunblane as well as that fabulous cake in Shaftesbury.      I'll show you later what I have here as a consolation!

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"

A few pictures from today and a picture of a pile of stones that we passed on the way home

Amazing what those floods will wash up, isn't it?  ::) ;D

This is what we have to enjoy of the day

Snowdrop gingerbread biscuits

« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 12:42:16 AM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
John Grimshaw has " blogged " appreciatively about the event :
http://johngrimshawsgardendiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/the-shaftesbury-snowdrop-festival.html

I am so pleased that the SRGC Forum had such an input to this super event and was able to give some sponsorship to it.

art600

• Travels light, travels far
Chas summed it up perfectly - a relaxed social gathering, with excellent food, entertaining informative speakers and the chance to buy some snowdrops to add to the collection.

Pam and Emma deserve our thanks for putting on such a wonderful day at such short notice.  We all hope that when they have had time to reflect they will decide to have another one next year.

And Maggi also deserves our thanks for her support and encouragement.

Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
Thanks again for the germolene scented drop Arthur, today it reminded me of fishing maggots...  :-\

Is an odd one, think I will carry on using S Arnott to let the visitors sniff  ;)

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
Thank you Maggi and Scottish rock garden for your support , thank you for everyone who came and everyone who wants to come next time !

It was a great day , I'm worn out .

Got back to find that our poplar wind break no longer exists  ! Bugger !  I will do an update when I've had more sleep and recovered for HPS DAY
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
You've had a very busy weekend , Emma, not surprised you're exhausted. 
Sorry to hear about the loss of the garden's windbreak. I  shudder to think of the piles of wood being generated over the last few storms with so much damage caused.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
At least we are well supplied with wood for next year's hard winter! Looks like the winds have subsided at last and a few good sunny days are stimulating seed germination.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Mavers

The Shaftesbury Snowdrop 'do' was excellent, an amazing achievement.

It was really good to meet up with fellow forum members again.

Mike

ps Glad to see you made it back up Gold Hill Chas!
Mike
Somerset, UK

Anthonyh

As I've said on another thread... apologies for not having chance to write this before...

I really enjoyed the Shaftesbury day... well done Emma, Pam and the other helpers. It was good to meet quite a few of you for the first time (Mike, Arthur, Gail and Richard) and as Richard has said, thanks for the Snowdrop Arthur.
A veg grower who's become increasingly distracted... especially with woodland plants and snowdrops!Worcestershire.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal