We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Ornithogalum dubium advice needed (please)  (Read 1257 times)

meanie

Ornithogalum dubium advice needed (please)
« on: June 22, 2014, 08:47:07 PM »
I don't go in for much "wallet" gardening nowadays, but when I walked past a local florist yesterday and saw this for three quid I had to part with my money.....................

Three bulbs for that money seemed good enough for me to give in to impulse, but when I googled it there was conflicting advice. So I'm wondering if anyone has grown it and could give me some care advice, definitive growth habits applicable to the UK etc.

Thanks for reading.
West Oxon where it gets cold!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Ornithogalum dubium advice needed (please)
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 08:55:26 PM »
Hard to pass up on something so pretty!

From comments in the forum over time it seems that getting dry  bulbs to break dormancy can be a bit tricky - here are the list of mentions from a search  ( via the search option fourth left at the top left of the page) - staring with your query today -

Search results for: Ornithogalum dubium
Pages: [1]
Bulbs General / Ornithogalum dubium advice needed (please)
« by meanie on Today at 08:47:07 PM »
Bulbs General / Re: Ornithogalum dubium
« by pontus on July 24, 2013, 11:07:13 AM »

......  have also had problems with growing ornithogalum dubium from dormant bulbs, but they are usually  ......
Bulbs General / Re: South African Bulbs 2011
« by Paul T on November 17, 2011, 12:09:04 PM »

...... . Never seen anything quite like it. The orange Ornithogalum is glorious..... I've tried the orange O. dubium  ......
Wisley Alpine Log – Feedback Forum / Re: Wisley in May.
« by Giles on May 31, 2013, 03:55:24 PM »

......  sintenisii Ornithogalum dubium Leucocoryne purpurea Petrophyllum  ......
Bulbs General / Re: Bulbs from South Africa - 2010
« by Alessandro.marinello on June 17, 2010, 12:12:31 AM »

......  winter growers are now dormant, except for Ornithogalum dubium. But Gethyllis roggeveldensis has pushed  ......
Flowers and Foliage Now / Re: Flowering now- July 2009
« by cohan on July 15, 2009, 02:44:27 AM »

...... ,  I can't comment on the succulents, but the Ornithogalum and Bulbine may take longer to germinate anyway.  ............ 't, because they often do the next year. If the Ornithogalum you bought is O. dubium, then I've never managed  ............  have much hope..the ornithos (a couple) were not dubium.. i wont be worried about small leaves for now, i  ......
Bulbs General / Re: South African bulbose plants 2009
« by Diane Clement on June 15, 2009, 10:43:50 PM »

......  on June 15, 2009, 07:42:33 PM  Here's my Ornithogalum dubium. Chris asked if this was still  ......
Bulbs General / Re: Remarks from the Weekly KAVB Flower Show - Lisse
« by Lvandelft on March 09, 2011, 10:09:13 AM »

......  picture of a group of some interesting Ornithogalum hybrids with new colors:    ............   Scilla peruviana  Ornithogalum dubium  Ornithogalum  ............   Ornithogalum Sunny Day  Ornithogalum  ......
Flowers and Foliage Now / Re: November 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« by ajbroome on November 21, 2009, 01:54:55 AM »

...... ,  Ornithogalum dubium.  I have *no* idea how to grow this. I  ......
Flowers and Foliage Now / Re: December 2009 in the Southern Hemisphere
« by Tecophilaea King on December 03, 2009, 09:38:02 AM »

......  Bill, Do you grow both the orange and the yellow Ornithogalum dubium? I find the orange is impossible to break  ............   Paul, I don't have any problem with the orange O.dubium flowering most of the times, I am not doing  ......
Bulbs General / Re: South African bulbose plants 2007
« by Lesley Cox on November 08, 2007, 09:32:40 PM »

...... . You may have nothing until the spring.   Here Ornithogalum dubium is quite tender. The colours are  ......
Bulbs General / Re: Ornithogalum 2013
« by bulborum on February 22, 2013, 11:21:50 AM »

......  from the Yellow and Orange colours exist in Ornithogalum dubium and other Ornithogalum species  ......
Bulbs General / Re: Ornithogalum
« by Renate Brinkers on June 26, 2009, 01:47:42 PM »

......  which need it really.  Since some years I grow Ornithogalum candicans, formerly Galtonia candicans, outside  ............  than the years before and now I will try the O.dubium also.  ......
Flowers and Foliage Now / Re: November 2008 in the Southern Hemisphere
« by Paul T on December 06, 2008, 08:23:03 AM »

......  with a great shape to them.   A yellow form of Ornithogalum dubium which, unlike the orange form, flowers and  ......
Wisley Alpine Log – Feedback Forum / Re: Wisley Log 08-26 April 2010
« by Paul Cumbleton on May 04, 2010, 04:38:50 PM »

...... , the very last thing to flower for me is usually Ornithogalum dubium  Cheers   ......
Flowers and Foliage Now / Re: December in the Southern Hemisphere
« by Paul T on December 05, 2006, 10:48:23 AM »

......  as well. Beautiful!!   This is a yellow form of Ornithogalum dubium. This flowers prolifically for quite some  ......
Plant Identification Questions and Answers / Re: Orange ornithogalum
« by Ezeiza on March 20, 2008, 02:55:42 PM »

......  Anthony.   I hastily read  "Ornithogalum dubium often turns up in gardens here"  So much  ......
Wisley Alpine Log – Feedback Forum / Re: Wisley Log 21- 19. December 2010
« by David Nicholson on December 21, 2010, 07:20:49 PM »

......  the Zephyra too and hadn't heard of that before. Ornithogalum dubium-I gave up on but like the alternative. I  ......
Bulbs General / Re: Mid-Winter-Flower-Show Lisse 2009
« by Lvandelft on January 10, 2009, 07:10:58 PM »

......   Lilium LA 01-82197-01  Ornithogalum dubium geel  Ranunculus Aviv Red  ......
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 12:27:02 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

meanie

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 10:43:39 PM »
Humbled by my laziness Maggi - thanks!

Those results reminded me of why I stopped buying on impulse! I'm sorely tempted to buy the last one tomorrow and grow on in the house and one in the greenhouse. However we look at it, a summer baking whilst dormant seems a good place to start. Works for the Ferraria and Lachenalia that I've grown for seed.

As an aside, I'm really struggling to get O.thyrsoides to break its dormancy yet the really cheap O.saundersiae bulbs that I bought (on a whim too) from Lidl of all places are romping away.
West Oxon where it gets cold!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 04:54:28 AM »
I've had no trouble breaking dormancy with the two plantings I've had over time, but the whole lot were lost to frosts and ours are less than yours I'd bet. It's quite tender unless under glass, even in NZ.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal