We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Allium 2012  (Read 42447 times)

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
Re: Allium 2012
« Reply #195 on: November 12, 2012, 04:29:06 PM »
Thanks Tatsuo, my plant does have flowers that look similar to A. virgunculae v. kiiense, as seen in this link:
http://hanamist.sakura.ne.jp/flower/tansiyo/yuri/kiito.html

My plants coming from a general nursery, it could also be the result of hybridization too, no way to know, so I will just enjoy this little plant.  :)
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Wim de Goede

• Kwekerij De Schullhorn
« Reply #196 on: December 18, 2012, 10:48:45 AM »
Dear Mark,

I have send you two years ago some bulbs of Allium Cameleon to see what it looks like, when it came in flower you thouht it was species ???? I cannot remember what name you was think of.
please can you tell me the name again . Thank you

Wim

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #197 on: December 18, 2012, 02:21:56 PM »
Hello Wim,

Initially I had narrowed it down to two possibilities, both being closely related Mediterranean species, Allium longanum or A. trifoliatum. Now that the bulbs you kindly sent me have settled in, flowering beautifully this past spring, there is no doubt this is a pink-flowered form of Allium trifoliatum.  In fact, I just did a google image search and found a nursery offering of this, identified as A. trifoliatum.
http://www.suttons.co.uk/Gardening/Flower+Bulbs/All+Bulbs/Allium+Chameleon+10_220980.htm

Here are two images of this Allium in bloom in my garden, the end of April 2012; it remained in fine flower for weeks. I find it interesting that this species, which sprouts with fresh flush of leaves in autumn and lasting all winter, seems completely hardy here so far.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Wim de Goede

• Kwekerij De Schullhorn
« Reply #198 on: December 18, 2012, 06:30:10 PM »
Hello mark ,

Thank you for the information it will help me for the trade to Japan and it is nice to see that firms in USA have  it for sale.

Wim

pontus

« Reply #199 on: January 20, 2013, 03:35:34 PM »
which is the very tall, ball headed dark purple allium in your image?

is it giganteum?

it is interesting to see so many alliums still in bud in early june. Is it obliquum in the far background to the right?

Pontus

Some photo's from today

wmel

• a giant in alliums!
« Reply #200 on: January 26, 2013, 11:57:19 AM »
which is the very tall, ball headed dark purple allium in your image?
is it giganteum?
it is interesting to see so many alliums still in bud in early june. Is it obliquum in the far background to the right?
Pontus

The very tall allium in the first photo is a crossing from allium giganteum.
In the second photo you see the dark purple crossing from giganteum "Ambassador"
To the right you see different allium ampeloprasum seedlings almost starting to flower
Wietse Mellema, Klutenweg 39 I, Creil  Netherlands
Bulbs and bulbflower grower of allium and tulips

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #201 on: June 13, 2014, 10:01:02 PM »
more likely, a form of A. oleraceum, closely allied and similar to Allium paniculatum, but with bulbils and rather variable in flower color, from light pink, to deeper pinks, to tawny brownish coppery forms

A year and 10 months on the first bulbils have reached flowering size. They are in the green house plunged in a terracotta put and despite watering the plants have chosen to go dormant except for the flower stems
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal