We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Camassia 2013  (Read 3470 times)

Ed Alverson

Camassia 2013
« on: March 19, 2013, 03:04:54 AM »
I'm not sure if there has ever been a Camassia thread, but I thought I would start one in case there is interest. It will be another 4 to 6 weeks before Camassia flowering season, but I have a few recent photos to share.

This photo is a patch of Camassia leichtlinii "Cerulea", purchased at the local garden center (I think I purchased them for half price during the end-of-season sale). I believe this is a selection of Camassia leichtlinii ssp. suksdorfii. All of the small shoots surrounding the clump are second year seedlings - letting plants seed naturally is definitely the cost-effective way to build up your stocks! 

My general impression is that C. leichtlinii ssp. suksdorfii is the Camassia that the greatest ability to increase on its own by seed. Also note that these seedlings are coming up in a mulched bed - even though Camassias are grassland or meadow plants, seedlings in particular don't compete well with vigorous grasses. So if you want to encourage seedling establishment, mulching is a good strategy.
Ed Alverson, Eugene, Oregon

Ed Alverson

Re: Camassia 2013
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 03:17:10 AM »
I've noticed that Camassia cusickii from different sources looks quite different. Plants of known wild origin have very distinctive broad, spreading leaves, quite different from any other Camassia species. Plants of commercial origin, growing in the same bed, have narrower, upright leaves, much more similar to other western Camassias.

This makes me wonder whether the plants of Camassia cusickii I purchased from the local garden center (presumably of Dutch origin) are really true C. cusickii, or instead are some kind of a hybrid with C. quamash. Or, possibly C. cusickii is more variable in the wild and the commercial source represents some other original collection from the wild. Or, since C. quamash grows in some of the same sites as C. cusickii, but in different habitats, the commercial form I have could have originated from a natural hybrid that was brought in to cultivation. It is hard to say at this point, but I'll post some photos later in the spring when the plants are in flower.

Ed

Gene Mirro

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 07:49:07 PM »
C. leichtlinii v. suksdorfi flower stalk can be up to 4 feet tall, very impressive, and with a deep blue color.

387665-0

But if you let them disperse their seeds, you may regret it.  They will take over the universe.

Ed, do the Camassia species hybridize readily?  Also, if you get up to SW Washington, feel free to drop in and check out my native plant collection. 

A flat of Camassia quamash seedlings:

387681-1
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 08:22:45 PM by Gene Mirro »
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

brianw

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 10:47:53 PM »
Over the years I have grown Camassia under all 4 suksdorfi, quamash, cusickii and leichtlinii names, as purchased, and have never knowling set any seed, except for the white form of leichtlinii, if that is the correct name. Electra which I also have I know is a hybrid so may be sterile.
Avon bulbs have bred a number of pink/grey shades so I know fertile forms are around. Maybe I have just been (un)lucky. They look super in the wild, and the RHS at Rosemoor and Wisley has them growing in grass, and giant white forms in the beds at the former. If only the flowers lasted longer. Light shade seems the best position for me.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Gene Mirro

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 10:59:51 PM »
Brianw, maybe they need two clones to set seed, or maybe a specific pollinating insect.  Maybe the commercial bulbs are being tissue-cultured now, from one clone.  Mine set buckets of seed every year.  But I am in their native range.  And I have way more than one plant, all grown from seed.
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

Claire Cockcroft

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 11:14:04 PM »
I can testify that Camassia leichtlinii can indeed take over the world.  I planted a pot of seedlings that were supposed to be C. quamash but were C. leichtlinii instead.  I was slow to discover my mistake and as a result have been digging out bulbs for the last two years.  Like Gene's, mine set "buckets of seeds".  Alas!
Claire Cockcroft
Bellevue, Washington, USA  Zone 7-8

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 11:31:26 PM »
Brianw, maybe they need two clones to set seed

That's certainly my experience of leichtlinii - plenty of vegetative increase but no seed set.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Ed Alverson

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 03:43:41 AM »
I believe that Camassias are typically self-incompatible - which means that at least 2 clones need to be present to get viable seed. So that may be an explanation for lack of seed set, but I've noticed that even in the wild some of the flowers will set seed pods and others not, perhaps related to weather and conditions for pollination?

Camassias are very attractive to bees -  native bumblebees and solitary bees as well as honeybees (which are not native in North America). Camassias produce a ton of nectar, which is one of their shortcomings as cut flowers - bring them inside and without the insects to harvest the nectar they can drip lots of purple nectar all over the table.

Gene, I know that hybrids of C. quamash ssp. maxima and C. leichtlinii ssp. suksdorfii have been found in the wild, so they have a genetic ability to cross, but hybrids are not all that common, indicating that there are other barriers (pollinator preferences, differences in flowering time, etc.) that help to keep the species distinct.

Rob, the vegetative increase of your C. leichtlinii is actually a feature of the horticultural selection you are growing; generally the western species (except C. cusickii) do not produce offsets in the wild, but only reproduce by seed.

Ed

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 08:55:38 AM »
Suspected as much - this one is of garden origin, unlike the Ratko seedlings I have.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

brianw

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 11:38:39 PM »
Just had a fumble in the dark and squeezed a leaf or two of a seedling patch. (it is 1C and drizzling out there) They are Nectaroscordon siculum from the smell. Now that is invasive. Don't think I had any of the white leichtlinii in that area.

brianw

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 11:13:47 PM »
Thought I would come back on this.
5 Camassia leichtlinii ssp suksdorfii Electra, formally pot grown, I grew in a temporary space this year in the garden gave 15 flowers stems and even a few seed pods, although the latter may be crossed with a variegated Camassia with white flowers growing nearby. The white as usual produced lots of seed.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal