We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lilium September 2014  (Read 786 times)

pontus

Lilium September 2014
« on: September 17, 2014, 10:19:04 PM »
A few late flowering beauties from here :

Lilium glorosioides and lilium primulinum burmanicum :)

The first time in 10 years that I manage to get these 2 fabulous sp to flower, but as a swedish expression says "the one who whaits for something nice never whaits too long"!

I have finally got the trick to get glorosioides to do well. Plant it in 60% neutral or alkaline soil and 40 % (or less) acid soil, in a "long tom" pot, at least 20 cm's tall. (round pot). The bulb needs to be planted only 5 cm's deep. Then, plunge the pot into a large raised bed in half shade, with the pot rim 5-10 cm's deep under the soil. Make sure the bed never dries out but also never gets waterlogged and protect from slugs :)

Pontus

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
Re: Lilium September 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 09:01:57 AM »
Pontus

a wonderful gloriosoides,your cultural hints are very useful.

Mine are a couple of years of flowering.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

winwen

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 01:17:10 PM »
A few late flowering beauties from here :

Lilium glorosioides and lilium primulinum burmanicum :)

The first time in 10 years that I manage to get these 2 fabulous sp to flower, but as a swedish expression says "the one who whaits for something nice never whaits too long"!

I have finally got the trick to get glorosioides to do well. Plant it in 60% neutral or alkaline soil and 40 % (or less) acid soil, in a "long tom" pot, at least 20 cm's tall. (round pot). The bulb needs to be planted only 5 cm's deep. Then, plunge the pot into a large raised bed in half shade, with the pot rim 5-10 cm's deep under the soil. Make sure the bed never dries out but also never gets waterlogged and protect from slugs :)

Pontus
Really brilliant, your L. gloriosoides!
Just one question for better understanding: What's a "long tom pot"?
Is this a less conical kind of pot?
Vienna/Austria (USDA Zone 7b)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 01:34:42 PM »
A long tom pot  need not be  less conical than a "normal" pot, but it often is. The main point is that it is much longer than wide.  Good for deep rooting or tap-rooted plants
We have discussed sources for these quite often, for instance here :  http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=5040.0

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 12:21:08 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal