We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pot culture of Haemanthus  (Read 3449 times)

Darren

Re: Pot culture of Haemanthus
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 02:46:03 PM »
Maggi has pointed me to this thread. I agree with the advice already given.  I currently have 5 seed grown plants potted in a 20cm clay pot which I keep un-plunged to allow it to dry out between waterings. They all flowered this year for the first time at only 4 years old from seed sent by a forumist.  Substrate is 50:50 JI2 and tesco low dust lightweight cat litter which also assists greatly with water management but I don't think it is essential.

I find exactly as Jon does with regards growing season - late July to march-april (exactly the same as my Conophytum!). I've seen it claimed this is a summer grower but that isn't my experience - it actually falls somewhere between the summer and winter growing bulbs with regards timing.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Helen Johnstone

• New alpine enthusiast, who is keen to learn lots
    • The Patient Gardener
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2014, 03:18:06 PM »
Hi Darren
Many thanks for the advice, it's nice that everyone agrees on the best conditions. Makes life easier for me!

angie

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 08:46:27 AM »
Sorry for not picking up on this post before now but just have a lot on at the moment. I do exactly as others have done and have had success even with our poor light levels up here in Aberdeen. One think I can say is they multiply quite quickly and you get all these little baby plants.
Helen will look forward to see some nice pictures from you soon.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Darren

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 02:27:10 PM »
One think I can say is they multiply quite quickly and you get all these little baby plants.
Helen will look forward to see some nice pictures from you soon.

Angie  :)

Good point - with 5 different clones of humilis hirsutus close together in one pot seed seed set was generous. Partly because I missed the fruit starting to fall from the plants, and partly because the seeds are surrounded by a fleshy pulp that ferments and smells a bit horrible, I was tardy collecting the seeds and they are now germinating in the nearby plunge and neighbouring pots.....

I hasten to add that I have no objection to fermentation in the right place - namely distilleries, breweries and wineries.  ;D
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

angie

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 03:14:43 PM »

I hasten to add that I have no objection to fermentation in the right place - namely distilleries, breweries and wineries.  ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

ArnoldT

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2014, 01:50:05 AM »
Haemanthus crispus.

A newly flowering one for me from a long time bulb guy.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Helen Johnstone

• New alpine enthusiast, who is keen to learn lots
    • The Patient Gardener
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2014, 11:37:57 AM »
Hi Arnold
That is very nice, a lovely colour.  I must seek one out

ArnoldT

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 08:16:33 PM »
Thank you Helen.

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal