We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Scottish Primula and Auricula show 16 May 2015  (Read 2183 times)

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
Scottish Primula and Auricula show 16 May 2015
« on: March 31, 2015, 06:40:17 PM »
16 May: The First Ever Scottish Auricula and Primula show 

Auchterarder Community Church Centre, Auchterader PH3 1DF.
Staging 1000hrs. Show 1200-1600hrs

The show has a great many classes and caters for florists’ auriculas/primulas as well as species. This is the first show in Scotland dedicated solely to primulas. Please, whether as a grower, shower or viewer give the show your support and have a great day out.

Contact: Alison Goldie at secretary@thescottishauriculaandprimulasociety.com

Trade stands, catering etc.

First Show Schedule
Section 1                    Auriculas pot size 3-4 inches / 9-12 cm except Border classes

Class                                                                                 
1. One plant Show Auricula Edged.
2. One plant Show Auricula Self.
3. One plant Show Auricula Fancy edged.
4. One plant Show Auricula Fancy other than edged.
5. One plant Show Auricula Striped.
6. One plant Show Auricula Double.
7. One plant Border Auricula - pot not to exceed 1lt.
8. One plant Gold centre Auricula.
9. One plant Light centre Auricula.
10. A collection of 3 Auriculas, One plant per pot any type, 3 different cultivars.
11. A collection of 3 Auriculas, One plant per pot any type, all the same cultivar.
12. A collection of 6 Auriculas, One plant per pot any type, 6 different cultivars.
13. Novice class - One Auricula plant any type.
14. SeePrimula farinosadlings for display and discussion.

Section 2   Vernales Species & Hybrids, Pot/pan size to be in scale with plant but not to exceed 12"/ 30cm in diameter.

Class                                                                                 
15. One pan Primula scotica.
16. One pan Primula acaulis.
17. One pan Primula veris.
18. One pan Primula elatior.
19. One pan Primula farinose.
20. One pan Primula Asiatic species.
21. One pan Primula European species or Hybrid.
22. A collection of 4 Vernales species, one plant per pot at least two species or sub species.
23. One pan Primula double.
24. One pan Gold Lace Polyanthus.
25. One pan Primula Jack in Green.
26. A collection of 3 large flowered Primula or Polyanthus, all different.
27. Novice -One pan Primula species or sub species.
28. Novice - Two pan Primula species or sub species different & distinct.
29. Novice - One pan large flowered Primula.
30. Novice - One pan large flowered Polyanthus
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Scottish Primula and Auricula show 16 May 2015
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 10:49:44 AM »
I'm glad to discover that this show is going ahead - there seemed to be a lack of info at one point.
The Aberdeen SRGC  Show is on the same day, of course.  It had been planned to avoid the possible clash by having the Aberdeen show on the 23rd May,  but that provides too big a clash  with the preparations for the SRGC display at Gardening Scotland.   Timing these things is never simple, I'm afraid.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2015, 07:15:22 PM »
As announced on Beechgrove Garden TV programme the show is on this Saturday. The Show President is Graeme Butler of Rumbling Bridge Nursery who was profiled on this evening's programme. Some great plants are likely to be on show!
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 07:21:37 PM »
I think Graeme is the  Scottish Primula Society's Presdient, not just for the show ?

Such a shame the date clashes with the Aberdeen Show.

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2015, 08:33:37 AM »
Maggi, yes, you're quite right he's both the Society's and the Show's President.

I also agree that it is a shame that the date clashes with an SRGC show as there would be undoubted mutual interest. As I mentioned to Barry it is a pity that there was limited appeal in promoting both the Auricula and Primula show and a SRGC show to be held at a similar venue at the same time so as to widen appeal of both interests. But, hey ho. I'm going along to Primula show - it is closer to home - and will report back.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2015, 11:48:05 AM »
Beats me why a joint effort is not considered, Frazer at least in future.... but lots of things happen
 ( or not, as the case may be!) which puzzle me  :P
Will look forward to see your  report on the Show, Have a good day.

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 08:47:35 PM »
I'll post pictures over the long weekend.

Anyhow, it was a great first show. We arrived at 1245 after judging - it was like the Harrods sale - it was so busy we couldn't actually get into the show hall so had to resort to tea and cakes to allow the crowd to subside.  When we finally got in we noted a raffle, a club stand, two trade stands (Rumbling Bridge and Angus Plants - and who by 1330 had both been cleaned out), a display of trophies (including a splendid copper kettle) and a small auricula theatre. In terms of plants there were over 150 stunning entries. Based on what I saw there is clearly broad public affection and interest in primulas and auriculas. I also noted the judge explaining to new showers how they could have improved their chances - a nice touch, I thought.  All in all a pleasant experience and I was sorely tempted to start a collection. I spoke to Graeme, he thought it had been a great success - he said that there were things on which they could improve (but doesn't everyone think like that, after all it was the first ever show) - though he wished the weather in the preceding weeks had been kinder as there otherwise would have been more entries. But 150 isn't bad and I saw folk joining the club. It was clear that the Beechgrove promotion had had a positive bearing on awareness and attendance. I look forward to next year's show - indeed I may even enter a couple of plants (Graeme made it sound so easy!). As I said, some pictures to be posted at the weekend.

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 04:50:17 PM »
    1st Show - various primulas
    1st Show - 'Chiffon'
    1st Show - 'Chloe'
    1st Show - 'Georgina Ward'
    1st Show - 'Helen Ruane' 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 04:54:09 PM by Maggi Young »

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 04:54:02 PM »
    1st Show -Auchterader
    1st Show 'Rhubarb Rock'
    DSC01383
    DSC01422
    DSC01388
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 04:54:54 PM by Maggi Young »

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 04:57:16 PM »
Best in Show was awarded The Copper Kettle!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 05:19:27 PM by Maggi Young »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal