We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Damaged, rotting bulb; help required  (Read 1090 times)

Josh Nelson

Damaged, rotting bulb; help required
« on: May 08, 2015, 11:56:29 PM »
Help please!  I damaged a bulb of a very tall and large flowered plicatus byzantinus when moving it and potted it on without realising. It looks to have partly rotten as the image shows.  There appears to be a bit of root and plate left but not much.  As it is an impressive plant (over a foot tall with large puckered outers), I do not wish to lose it!

I presume I need to clean off outer layers to clean white and treat with fungicide, although I could not find dusting fungicide at the local garden centre.  Is saving the bulb possible/ likely or can/need it be propagated by twin scaling/ chipping etc?  I have never tried either of the latter but will do if necessary.  At the moment, it is in free draining mix with added sand to keep moisture levels minimised until treatment advised.

Many thanks

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Re: Damaged, rotting bulb; help required
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 09:27:36 AM »
Just seen your message Josh, have emailed you :)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Josh Nelson

Re: Damaged, rotting bulb; help required
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 11:34:34 PM »
Many thanks Brian - much appreciated.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal