We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: East Lancs. Group AGS Show 19th March  (Read 10029 times)

veteran vet

Re: East Lancs. Group AGS Show 19th March
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2016, 08:37:03 PM »
There was one plant |I would have liked to have taken home with me above all others and that was
Ranunculus crithmifolius from Don Peace in rare in cultivation (89), grew it for quite a few years then one year did not return, collected the seed but still no germination some 6 years on, now live in forlorn home that something might still germinate...the exhibit and notes
There were two exhibits of
Fritillaria kittaniae one for John Dixon in class 70, the other from Vic Aspland in 79, I show both as at first glance they do not appear to be the same cultivar but the explanation may be that, after talking to Vic Aspland is that his plant, usually grown in an outside sand plunge covered by glass, had this season not had the cover because of gales/storm damage so had full exposure to the elements, hence the reduced size
A Show with a lot of silverware to be won

veteran vet

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2016, 08:38:48 PM »
By any chance had Mr. Booker shoved some (a lot!) plants up his shirt? ;)
Nearly creased myself, did make me laugh, really fine comment

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2016, 08:41:39 PM »

Anybody else want a go?   :)
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2016, 08:42:42 PM »

It takes a Yorkshireman to see and tell the truth George. :o
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

veteran vet

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2016, 08:47:25 PM »
A few Crocus
Crocus kosaninii (76) Vic Aspland
Crocus heuffelianus 'Brian Duncan' (76) George Young and from the same
Crocus vernus albiflorus
Rhododendron 'Linda' from John Savage  (31), he also had
Grevillea Poorindra Rondeau, although he used a different spelling (Gravillea)...more later   

veteran vet

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2016, 08:58:12 PM »
Galanthus ikariae ikariae  (71) from Ian Kidman...although he calls it Ikea ikea, doubt that the Swedish brand has ever produced such a fine product!
Two from Barry Tattersall
Serapias neglecta (8)
Anacamptis laxiflora (20), a tall plant not easy to get a good pic of
Leucojum vernum carpathicum (2) Tommy Anderson, a good garden plant
Primula allionii 'Mary Berry', Geoff Rollinson (8), just to show that can be done in the AGS as well as Sam Sutherland did at Kinkardine...well done Sam, keep up the good work

veteran vet

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2016, 09:07:28 PM »
Narcissus jacetanus from Ian and Maria  Leslie (75)
Narcissus cyclamineus 'Mite' (125) Frank Dobson (wrongly spelt on the label) as was
Iris Katharine Hodgkin by Pauline Carloss in 123...there is just no excuse for wrong labelling given the wealth of information out there, even in the Novice classes
Primula 'Joan Hughes' from Frank Dobson, best plant in the Intermediate section
Back view of the Rhododendron classes

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2016, 09:10:30 PM »
Dear me, the Iris Katharine Hodgkin is badly affected by virus.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

veteran vet

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2016, 09:15:04 PM »
Tulipa kurdica from Edward Barraclough (22)
Narcissus obesus 'Lee Martin' 77 Anne Wright...suspect it should be N bulbocodium obesus
Corydalis macrocentra (I think) from Don Peace in 13. He also had a nice winning fern in
Cheilanthes lindheimei in class 85
Bench view

veteran vet

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2016, 09:30:14 PM »
I agree Maggi
Now for some help from the Forum community. I attach a picture of Erythronium multiscapoideum plus a close up in the next image showing different spellings plus at the show another such exhibit had a Judges Note re the spelling showing that it should be multiscipideum plus quoting a reference. All the years I have known this plant it was spelt as I have started this post but it seems there has been a review...what do the experts on the Forum say
This brings me on to a 'grouse' that has begun to get at me when going round a show, one is the inappropriate size of the labels compared to the size of the exhibit and secondly, and of more concern. is the amount of miss spelling of plant names that I notice, not just in the lower sections of the show but even in the open section. In addition the quality/legibility of the writing on some labels leads much to be desired, there is no reason from my point of view for labels to be written in long hand that only the writer can decipher when simple neat printing should be so easy.
Dionysia 'Tess' from David Morris (142) winner of much silverware, would for me have looked better with a smaller label given the size of the plant...but still a nice plant   
Two from Geoff Rollinson to finish
Primula renifolia and its notes in class 89

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2016, 10:01:25 PM »
Spelling of Erythronium species  as queried by veteran vet :  this plant has been mis-named for many years, because, I believe of a spelling error that was repeated in various books and so became in common usage.   
 This note is from the Pacific Bulb Society :
 "Erythronium multiscapideum (Kellogg) A.Nelson & P.B.Kennedy (note: spelling of species name corrected from earlier common, but incorrect spelling, Erythronium multiscapoideum , used in many reference books) "

It has never been known as  "E.multiscipideum"  to my knowledge - this must be yet another spelling error on the label.
See also : http://ucjeps.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/get_cpn.pl?25184&expand=1

As to the size of labels - I have noticed many show goers straining to read labels so perhaps the bigger labels are a good way to allow  more people to read the plant name more easily?!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 10:29:16 PM by Maggi Young »

veteran vet

« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2016, 12:55:27 PM »

'As to the size of labels - I have noticed many show goers straining to read labels so perhaps the bigger labels are a good way to allow  more people to read the plant name more easily?!'

Thanks for your thoughts on the labels Maggi but another way of looking at it is that some of the writing/printing on the label is so badly written as to be near unreadable in some cases, I find myself peering at the writing trying to decipher the writing rather than because the label is too small. My other point is that sometimes the label size 'dominates' a small plant or pot when smaller would be in keeping with the exhibit. Can I recommend viewers have a look at the Don Peace labels on his exhibits, this is the standard we should all be trying to achieve

The Erythronium  name spelling issue will no doubt resolve itself in the fullness of time

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2016, 01:36:01 PM »
Repeating a pot with a label  that Veteran Vet  states is a goo example - no argument with that!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal