We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Mimulus 2016  (Read 3218 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: Mimulus 2016
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 05:55:10 PM »

Mimulus moschata has been in cultivation in various forms for a very long time.

I grow plants from wild seed. The simple beauty of such plants is appealing to me. Our plants of Mimulus moschata will bloom on and off all summer well into the autumn. They are very perennial and will lasting for many years in the garden.

Mimulus bicolor.

I very much enjoy growing our California native annual Mimulus species. We have a fair number of native species to choose from. Generally, I grow them in containers until I build up sufficient seed stock to experiment with them around in the open garden. In containers it is also much easier to control pollination. Some species readily cross with one another, others do not.

Those pictured are in containers and are still blooming after weeks of flowering activity. From this start I will grow a large tub full. After that there will be plenty of seed to experiment with.

Two different selections of Mimulus aurantiacus var. grandiflorus. Both clones were selected (from cuttings) from plants found in the wild.

A comparison of flowers.

On the right is Mimulus aurantiacus var. aurantiacus as it is typically seen in our part of California. On the left is Mimulus auranticaus var. grandiflorus. The two lobed petals of var. grandiflorus is typical to this variety.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 07:11:12 PM »
Very nice Robert. Had I found them in the nature I hadn't guessed they were the same species :)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Robert

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 08:21:15 PM »
Very nice Robert. Had I found them in the nature I hadn't guessed they were the same species :)

Trond,

The foliage of the two varieties is identical (more or less). I know that you would identify them very easily.  ;D  Not too long ago in the past the two varieties were separated as two distinct species.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 10:01:50 PM »
You are very optimistic Robert ;)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 10:28:57 PM »
I like your creamy var. grandiflorus Robert. My  white is REALLY white except for a little yellow in the centre. The cuttings re well rooted now and are safely under frost cloth for the winter but pictures when they flower of course. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Robert

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2016, 05:45:56 PM »
I like your creamy var. grandiflorus Robert. My  white is REALLY white except for a little yellow in the centre. The cuttings re well rooted now and are safely under frost cloth for the winter but pictures when they flower of course. :)

Lesley,

I look forward to seeing your white Mimulus aurantiacus when your "spring" arrives.

Here in California, there are a number of color selections in the commercial nursery trade. Given the potential of the species it is disappointing (for me) that better forms are not offered. I have seen many with "muddy" colors, or plants grown with growth regulators that return to a poor growth habit when the chemicals are no longer applied. There were some excellent varieties here in California in the distant past. Maybe they are still out there somewhere.  :)
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal