We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trillium grandiflorum with double flowers  (Read 2276 times)

kalle-k.dk

• Karl Kristensen's Garden
Trillium grandiflorum with double flowers
« on: December 22, 2016, 07:58:07 AM »
I have in years tried to find out what is right and what is wrong in the names of the double grandiflorum, it's not always easy to find. A friend in U.S have been a great help for me and and we believe to have found out something. I Denmark the is two named Trillium grandiflorum; grf. flora plena and 'Snow Bunting' and after long searching my friend and I think flora plena and 'Smith's double' is the same and maybe we also think 'Snow Bunting' is the same. My friend have a good point; all double grandflorum have been found in the nature in U.S and any of those have been named 'Snow Bunting' Is the somebody who can tell me where the name 'Snow Bunting' come from? My friend and I understand the can be some doubt, because the double grandiflorum is not stabile in the forms of the flowers. If you see the two flowers I send come from the same plant and the photo is from the same day and there is only a few mm. between the flowers. I know the is also another clone in UK as are named 'Bressingham clone' and it should come from Montreal Botanic garden. The is two stories about the plants in MBG; 1) Smith send 2-3 plants to MBG 2) they where found in Canada near Quebec. Please tell my friend and I what you know about 'Snow Bunting'
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 02:55:52 PM by kalle-k.dk »
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Trillium grandiflorum with double flowers
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 03:37:24 PM »
re: Montréal Botanic Gardens

I would try to track down Michel-André Otis who was in charge of the Woodland Garden there and finally the Perennial Garden before retiring. He would certainly know.  I believe he is now in the Charlevoix region of Québec now.  A fantastic speaker by the way!

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2016, 06:25:34 PM »
This is from   http://www.trilliums.co.uk/trillium_cultivars.htm

T. g.’Snow Bunting’ Full double white. Gardenia flowered. Traceable back to Dr Henry Teuscher, Curator of the Montreal Botanic Gardens in the 1950’s. He obtained it from Mr William Smith who had been given a few rhizomes by Mr James L. Smith, the postmaster at Erin, NY who found it in the local woods in May 1924. In 1966 it received an Award of Merit at Chelsea Show grown by Major & Mrs Knox Finlay of Keillour in Perthshire,Scotland.

T. g. ‘Smith’s Double’ Mentioned in Fred Case’s ‘Trilliums’ but not named officially. Probably found by James L Smith Postmaster in woods at Erin, NY in May 1924.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

kalle-k.dk

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 07:01:40 AM »
Diane, do you think T. g.’Snow Bunting’ is the same as Case mentioned in his book as T. g. ‘Smith’s Double’ ? As I understand you, the come both from Mr James L. Smith. On Carl Denton's cultivar list you can also see 'Bressinham Clone' and you can see it come from MBG, same place as T. g.’Snow Bunting’.
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 06:06:15 AM »
Karl,

It would make sense for all three to be the same clone - how many doubles could there have been in Erin New York?

I wonder who named 'Snow Bunting'.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Rimmer de Vries

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 07:14:14 PM »
There have been several doubles found in the Michigan woods by Fred Case.
Rimmer
Bowling Green, Kentucky USA
36.9685° N
USDA zone 6b-7a
Long hot humid summers
Cool wet winter
Heavy red clay soil over limestone karst

kalle-k.dk

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 05:27:10 PM »
Yes Rimmer, I know F. Case found several double forms, but I don't think he named any of them 'Snow bunting'
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 04:09:55 PM by kalle-k.dk »
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal