We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Killerton House- 12 February 2017  (Read 2141 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Killerton House- 12 February 2017
« on: February 12, 2017, 07:53:15 PM »
Quite a nice day today for a change. Cold and 'blowy' but a nice bit of weak sun and a blue(ish) sky so we went to Killerton for our first visit of the year.

It's all about drifts really with Cyclamen coum, Snowdrops and Crocus tommasinianus to the fore with early daffs in good light just opening with loads to come. We could spy a few early Rhododendrons and Camellias in flower under the higher tree canopy but couldn't get nearer owing to path repairs as result of the chain of dire winters we've had and removal of trees blown down in the Autumn gales.

So, to some pics. I'll start with the Cyclamen coum from the Churchyard which I have pictured before many times but it really is a cracking show.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Killerton House- 12 February 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 07:57:38 PM »
Never ceases to amaze me when I see such carpets of Cyclamen - how lovely they are.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 08:00:25 PM »
As you would expect lots of Snowdrops. I've no idea what they are (maybe some nivalis, some flora plena and some elwesii )
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 08:02:41 PM »
Crocuses this time probably C. tommasinianus mainly in shades of Lilac with just odd patches of a much darker form.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 08:05:40 PM »
A couple of Daff shots. Iris unguicularis, Daphne bhuloa 'Jacqueline Postill' and an early Rhodo through the trees
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 11:19:39 PM »
As you would expect lots of Snowdrops. I've no idea what they are (maybe some nivalis, some flora plena and some elwesii )
If you want help identifying them you need to get a bit closer with the camera so we can see the form of the leaves and more detail of the flower.
Almost in Scotland.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 11:21:56 PM »
David  - Have you noticed seeded stands of tommiies that are a very washed-out colour?  Is that common?

Certainly have seen it here and wonder if they should be weeded out to let the good colour forms proliferate.

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Cfred72

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 06:43:26 AM »
David, what a wonderful walk you had to do. What a beautiful show it is. With us the Galanthus scarcely leave the earth. With such images, you help us to wait for spring.  :)
Frédéric Catoul, Amay en Hesbaye, partie francophone de la Belgique.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 08:14:37 AM »
David, what a wonderful walk you had to do. What a beautiful show it is. With us the Galanthus scarcely leave the earth. With such images, you help us to wait for spring.  :)

I so agree to this. Thank you David.
Leena from south of Finland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 09:11:32 AM »
If you want help identifying them you need to get a bit closer with the camera so we can see the form of the leaves and more detail of the flower.

I'm not that bothered Alan I just wanted to show the scale of the drifts.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 09:14:08 AM »
David  - Have you noticed seeded stands of tommiies that are a very washed-out colour?  Is that common?

Certainly have seen it here and wonder if they should be weeded out to let the good colour forms proliferate.

john

John, I think there were some patches of 'washy' plants but those were in the minority. If they were weeded out though it just wouldn't be a natural environment, would it?

Thanks everyone glad you enjoyed the pics.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 08:15:23 PM »
David,
The naturalized carpets of C. coum are simply :o
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

astragalus

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 01:05:42 PM »
David, those sweeps of cyclamens must be overwhelming to see. Loved your photos.  Only C. purpurascens makes it here and I'm happy with little clumps.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 01:13:27 PM »
Thanks Anne and Gabriela, glad you enjoyed them.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal