We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2017  (Read 8107 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Paeonia 2017
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2017, 05:25:01 PM »
Do you have moments when you're utterly convinced where a plant came from............ and then you're not? This is a lost label, flowering for only the second year,  and grown from seed. The thing is I thought the seed was from the Paeonia lactiflora I posted in reply 23 above but I'm not sure now.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2017, 06:33:44 PM »
Paeonia mlokosewitschii seedpod
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2017, 09:36:29 AM »
Here are some pictures of the peonies which seeds I sent to the seed exchange.
P.obovata
P.anomala "Altai" (seeds put together with other P.anomala, I see)
P.officinalis ssp microcarpa
P.veitchii. I sent seeds from these plants which open pink, and then as the flower matures, fades to almost white.
Leena from south of Finland

Leena

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2017, 09:42:58 AM »
I also sent seeds from my plants grown as P. x chamaeleon which is supposed to be a natural hybrid between P.caucasica x P.mlokosewitchii. One plant from these seeds has all white flowers, the other has pink flush at the base of the flower. They are very nice early flowering peonies, about 60cm tall.
However, in the seed list I don't see P. x chamaeleon, so I wonder if my seeds were put under 'Chameleon' (which is a different peony, herbacous hybrid bred by Klehm) in the seed list, or if they were put together with P.daurica seeds...

bainbridges

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2017, 03:06:19 PM »
Oh no!   Leena has found out that we don't know everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ???

We had always thought there was only one P. 'Chameleon', and now we know there is P. x chamaeleon as well, so we're sorry but the seed sent this year is under P. 'Chameleon' even if it's really P. x chamaeleon............

Next year we'll have two chamaeleons / Chameleons in the seed list........  if we get sent the seed again!

and if P. anomala 'Altai' is a recognised cultivar name we'll separate that next year too.............

In contrition..... :-\

Ian and Carole Bainbridge

Leena

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2017, 04:10:31 PM »
There are so many plants in the seed list, nobody can know all of them!!  :) I am very grateful for the work you do for the seed exchange!
Thanks for clarifying it that seeds from my plant are now under 'Chameleon', so that if anyone should want to order them they know where to find them. :) That is what I wanted to find out.  ;)
It is really a nice peony, even though the flowering time is not very long, like with many other species.
My plants produce always plenty of seeds, so I'm sure I will have them to send also next year. They are open pollinated, so there is a slight chance of them not being true: I have (possible, species is not sure) cream coloured P.wittmanniana growing close by these plants, and they may have been cross pollinated by bees. P.mlokosewitchii flowers later than P.wittmanniana and P.x chamaeleon in my garden.

P.anomala "Altai" is not recognized cultivar, it just a second generation plant from wild collection from Altai, and a very nice and vigorous P.anomala. I have also grown P.anomala from other (garden) sources, and they flower later and are not quite like this one.
I can't also swear that my P.veitchii is a pure veitchii, they are grown from garden seeds, and they are small plants with sidebuds, and early flowering, and also always produce lots of seeds. I have now seedlings growing from wild collection from China, it will be interesting to see in few years time how they look compared to the plants I now have flowering.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal