We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Helleborus 2017  (Read 7133 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Helleborus 2017
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2017, 02:32:13 PM »
Roma - What an embarassment of riches! I am reminded of a Hollywood, California resident whose compost bin developed gout.

Several new H. niger hybrids seem particularly vigorous, the one problem plant is 'Walberton Rosemary' which took off like a shot but then collapsed and is now in recovery mode. 

Helleborus x 'Pippa's Purple' (photo #1) is very vigorous and floriferous as is H. x 'Anna's Red' (not shown) but it's colour is so close to the former it is barely noticeable from a distance.  The photo #2 is of what is supposed to be H. x 'Penny's Pink', far from pink to my eye it looks like 'Pippa's Purple' to me.  Can anyone confirm all three are similar or do they in fact differ dramatically?

johnw

John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2017, 03:24:03 PM »
And so it begins again...

593064-0
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2017, 10:23:24 AM »
An incredible photo of H. thibetanus Steve. I can even count the pollen grains.  :)
Wonderful pictures all, thanks. I'm almost sorry hellebore season is now finished here instead of just starting.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2017, 10:26:45 AM »
Every year, the colours, forms, markings are more and more beautiful? bizarre? New anyway and always something to look forward to.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2017, 07:03:04 PM »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Roma

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2017, 07:51:35 PM »
This two were flowering on September 19th.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2017, 08:22:48 PM »

................Several new H. niger hybrids seem particularly vigorous, the one problem plant is 'Walberton Rosemary' which took off like a shot but then collapsed and is now in recovery mode. 

Helleborus x 'Pippa's Purple' (photo #1) is very vigorous and floriferous as is H. x 'Anna's Red' (not shown) but it's colour is so close to the former it is barely noticeable from a distance.  The photo #2 is of what is supposed to be H. x 'Penny's Pink', far from pink to my eye it looks like 'Pippa's Purple' to me.  Can anyone confirm all three are similar or do they in fact differ dramatically?

I'm inclined to agree John they all seem very similar to me. I reckon they wouldn't survive recognition if the labels blew away!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Johan K.

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2017, 05:09:24 PM »
Helleborus niger

Helleborus 'HGC Shooting Star'

Helleborus 'Verboom Beauty'

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal