We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sorbus poteriifolia  (Read 1364 times)

Barry Hennessey

Sorbus poteriifolia
« on: January 06, 2018, 03:36:38 PM »
I have a pot of Sorbus poteriifolia which I bought at an AGS show possibly from Edrom Nurseries. I now want to plant it into one of my rock gardens. One is in full sun and is a well-drained sandy loam. The other is in part shade with humus rich soil. Which one shall I choose as The Sorbus Monograph says shade and other sources of information say full sun.

Confused of East Haddon
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 04:14:07 PM by Barry Hennessey »
Barry Hennessey

Believe nothing unless it agrees with your own reason

Buddah: 500 BC

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Sorbus potaninii
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 03:50:20 PM »
Hello Barry -  I don't know of a Sorbus  potaninii - might it be Sorbus poteriifolia ?  That one is a little gem for a trough or rock garden.

Does well here in Aberdeen in a fairly sunny spot on a raised  wall of a  rock bed, facing west.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Barry Hennessey

Re: Sorbus poteriifolia
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 04:16:45 PM »
Well spotted Maggi. I have corrected it. I have a couple of shrubs sp. potaninii and I got confused.

Even more confused of East Haddon
Barry Hennessey

ArdfearnAli

• Ardfearn Nursery
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 09:04:08 PM »
Hello Barry,
                I have grown it for years in many different places and found it dislikes being over wet in winter and also dislikes deep shade. It will grow in medium to light shade but tends to loose its low compact habit. I find like Maggie a sunny well drained spot is best. Its a superb plant especially in autumn with the white berries (if the birds don't get them first).

Alasdair

Chris Parsons

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 09:07:30 PM »
Will probably depend on where you are in the UK Barry. The info in the monograph may be based on Hugh McAllister's experience of growing this plant at Ness, which is quite dry due to the rain shadow cast by Snowdonia.

Barry Hennessey

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 09:14:31 AM »
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I'll plant it on my sunny rock garden. It's a lovely little thing and will go well with the prostrate, dwarf willows.
Barry Hennessey

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal