We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula macrophylla back in growth in December.  (Read 1153 times)

Sheep

Primula macrophylla back in growth in December.
« on: December 27, 2018, 11:50:47 PM »
From seed exchange 70, sown in April 2017. Having been partly eaten by caterpillars this autumn they appeared to die back for this winter into yellow cup shaped buds. However at least one has just started growing a new leaf from the hole in the centre. I wonder if this might be a mistake on the part of the plant. Could anybody possibly please advise me what a good course of action would be? Thank you.
Nick

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Primula macrophylla back in growth in December.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 02:13:11 PM »
In my experience quite a lot of  primulas will go this sort of thing, Nick.   What action to take  depends on what sort of weather you may experience in your area.  It may be that the plant, having  poked out this leaf, will go no further  into growth - and though that leaf may get a bit of damage over the winter, the plant will be okay and grow normally in spring.
If you fear  a very damp winter or  particularly extreme frosts ( worse than minus 10c, I reckon)  then perhaps a  rain hat - made of  weld mesh with a polycarbonate  lid ( such as  these  shown from page 10 in this Bulb Log : www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2010Aug041280927654BULB_LOG__31comp.pdf  )     would  be enough  to protect it  until the weather improves without  overheating it.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Sheep

Re: Primula macrophylla back in growth in December.
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 10:05:25 PM »
Thsnk you Maggi for your very helpful advice.
Nick

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal