We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Seed recommendations  (Read 1330 times)

NWalker86

Seed recommendations
« on: February 29, 2020, 08:12:43 PM »
Hi All

I'm just curious as to where many of you accumulate your seeds from?

I've purchased a few bits from my local AGS show but wondered if there are other
places that are reputable.

Thank you   :)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Seed recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2020, 09:18:30 PM »
All sorts  of  good  sources  - SRGC , AGS seed exchanges,  and  the  Hardy  Plant  Society, Cyclamen Society crocus  group, Frit  group, and  so on.
Then there  are the  commercial seed  sellers, many  of the  best  are  shown in the  pages  of the  forum when a  new  list  is  published... like  Botany Ca, Kurt Vickery,  Holubec -   http://holubec.wbs.cz/   and  many  more.  Try a  forum search for  Seedlists  and  see  some  great  ideas.  :)

And  forum members   can offer  their  spare  seed  here  as well of  course.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 09:22:05 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

WSGR

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 06:51:16 AM »
You could type in where to buy + name of plants and your country or UK to see some named suppliers. I have used quite a few new plants using this method. Make sure the payment or the status bar displays a padlock so that your money is safe.

NWalker86

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 07:31:36 AM »
All sorts  of  good  sources  - SRGC , AGS seed exchanges,  and  the  Hardy  Plant  Society, Cyclamen Society crocus  group, Frit  group, and  so on.
Then there  are the  commercial seed  sellers, many  of the  best  are  shown in the  pages  of the  forum when a  new  list  is  published... like  Botany Ca, Kurt Vickery,  Holubec -   http://holubec.wbs.cz/   and  many  more.  Try a  forum search for  Seedlists  and  see  some  great  ideas.  :)

And  forum members   can offer  their  spare  seed  here  as well of  course.

Maggi that is wonderful Thankyou.

I've got some seed from AGS shows but their germination isn't the greatest although I know some can take a fair amount of time to. I'll certainly look into those other options as I only attend 1 AGS show a year & I get itchy fingers to sow a few more things to try ☺️

NWalker86

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 07:34:57 AM »
You could type in where to buy + name of plants and your country or UK to see some named suppliers. I have used quite a few new plants using this method. Make sure the payment or the status bar displays a padlock so that your money is safe.

Thankyou for the advice ☺️

I like to make sure tjag the company is reputable & sells genuine alpine seeds. Not sure if I'm over thinking it but in terms of potentially going on to show plants I think I need to make sure I'm growing with good quality alpine seeds. 😊

WSGR

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 08:54:56 AM »
You can approach Alpine society in UK, apart from this one! There are quite a few branches. I'm sure they will give you some pointers.

Tristan_He

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 10:27:23 AM »
Agree with all of those. I would add Alplains (really good for N American); Michal Rejsek (wildflowerseeds.eu) (mostly European); Vlastimil Pilous (alpine-seeds.com) (also mostly European); Chinese Alpines (fairly self-explanatory!).

If you are interested in Hellebores, I can also recommend Phedar Nursery (Will McLewin). Anne Wright (Dryad Nursery) does a very good Hepatica seedlist in the summer.

Tristan

NWalker86

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 10:19:47 PM »
Agree with all of those. I would add Alplains (really good for N American); Michal Rejsek (wildflowerseeds.eu) (mostly European); Vlastimil Pilous (alpine-seeds.com) (also mostly European); Chinese Alpines (fairly self-explanatory!).

If you are interested in Hellebores, I can also recommend Phedar Nursery (Will McLewin). Anne Wright (Dryad Nursery) does a very good Hepatica seedlist in the summer.

Tristan

Ah Tristan this is wonderful thank you!

That's going to give me plenty to look at & keep my options open.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal