We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Daphne bholua Jacqueline Postill  (Read 1028 times)

P. Kohn

Daphne bholua Jacqueline Postill
« on: March 22, 2020, 05:19:39 PM »
Unusually worked on our own tiny garden today instead of Sheffield Botanic Grdens where we spend most of our lives. Noticed several shoots around the base of the plant (which has been fabulous for weeks but is now going over). It ought to be possible to propagate from these runners. has anyone tried?  If so do you have any tips ?

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
Re: Daphne bholua Jacqueline Postill
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 05:28:44 PM »
Yes I've done this, digging up suckers in the autumn with as much fine root as possible then immediately replanting them with a plastic bag loosely over the leaves for a few months to limit water loss (ugly admittedly).
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Carolyn

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 06:31:20 PM »
I tried it  in January and have potted up 3 bits, which are still alive so far. I read somewhere that you should sever the root joining the sucker to the main plant with a spade, but leave the sucker in place to allow its roots to grow a bit more before digging it up. I was too impatient for that!
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

WSGR

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 06:31:33 AM »
So useful to know. Thank you. I have 2 aureomarginatas - one variegated, one Bholua. one horrible looking rubra, one princess and probably one or 2 more and I am saying to myself that I won't buy another Daphne as their flowers look all the same. I will follow the method and see if I can have more plants.

P. Kohn

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 02:22:27 PM »
Many thanks for the advice. Sounds like I should leave well alone until the end of the year.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal