We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: No show!  (Read 1210 times)

iainmm

No show!
« on: March 24, 2020, 04:05:23 PM »
Hello Maggie

Carolyn McHale, of our local group,  tells me you are having a No Show on the Forum to amuse us during isolation...
Here are a couple of shots which I have taken with my phone and further days of manipulation. I am not very computer literate....Just transferring them then refinding them kept me amused for hours....

Iain
Iain, Passion for primulas

Carolyn

Re: No show!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 04:47:25 PM »
Well done, Iain, welcome to  the forum!
Carolyn McHale
Gardening in Kirkcudbright

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 05:11:44 PM »
Lovely plants Iain 8)
Recently I received by mail-order a DV so miniscule it looked like a seedling.  I had assumed this would be propagated by division but do you know whether it sets & comes true from seed?
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 05:49:51 PM »
Hello Iain - good to  hear  from you  - and  see  your  super  photos!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

iainmm

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 08:42:50 PM »
Ashley, Thanks for your comments.  I have never had seed from David Valentine and just separated  the roots after flowering over many years. There is an interesting article in The Northumberland Alpine Gardener by John Richards on the history of this lovely hybrid.  I will look it up and send more precise details.
Iain

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 09:32:33 PM »
Yes I'd like to read that Iain; thank you. 
In his book 'Primula' Richards refers to DV as a clone from the cross P. juliae x elatior ssp. meyeri raised by David Valentine around 1968.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 11:07:17 AM »
For   "no -show"  photos, see  also http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=17741.0   and  Stan's  terrific one  man Stirling  Show, not  at  Dunblane (!!) -  http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=17733.0

iainmm

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 06:18:53 PM »
Ashley, Here are the notes as promised;

John Richards in Northumberland Alpine Diary 01/04/2009

“While Heslop-Harrison was spreading mayhem at Newcastle (this is quite another story that I may tell some time), David Valentine was presiding over Botany 15 miles down the road in Durham, where he was my Professor, and later, my research supervisor. Valentine was also interested in the evolution and taxonomy of the relatives of the primrose, and in this he progressed a good deal further than his apoplectic rival. Valentine employed several lady assistants to work on this group, and one of these was no less  a person than Judy Burrows.
Years later, Judy passed this plant on to me, saying that it had been raised by Valentine himself (remarkable, as he was no gardener), and was the result of an experimental cross between P. elatior and P. juliae. Judy had kept it going after Valentine's death and called it 'David Valentine'. As an ex-Valentine student myself, she thought I should grow it. It is still an extremely good garden plant, although a hungry grower and in constant need of repropagation.”
John Richards does not mention P.x 'David  Valentine' in his Primula Book however D H Valentine and associates are mentioned under P. magaseifolia and P. elatior.-

As John says it is a hungry grower and should grow on well.

Good luck
Iain

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 08:28:36 PM »
Thank you very much Iain; very interesting to get this context.

iainmm

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 04:03:38 PM »
Ashley
I am pleased that you responded to my 'No Show' and your interest in P.'David Valentine' and that you will hopefully nurture this interesting clone and continue growing it.
I had hoped that some other Show Exhibitors would show off their potential flowers.  I have only been showing since I reached my 80's and am disappointed in this Self isolating and the cancellation of Shows.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2020, 06:27:52 PM »
iainmm - thanks  for your  photos - there  are others  posting  their  "no show"  plants  - but  in all sorts  of  other  threads, including the  "show  plants  that never  were" thread .... http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=17741.0
and  in the  threads  that were  in situ  already  in readiness for the  Stiirling show at  Dunblane  http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=17733.0   and the  Hexham show http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=17722.0 as well as  in the  various other  current  threads - the  forum folks tend   to post  wherever  they feel like  it! I'm just  glad they take the  time and  trouble, as  you  have, to post! Thanks  to you all!

iainmm

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 09:08:59 PM »
Thanks Maggie for your comments and assistance to reach other 'No Shows'
I thought it would be nice if members could show one or two of their plants just to cheer us up in our confinement.... I cannot compete with the Stans and Cirls but love the challenge and the joy of showing and meeting other competitors.  Here's to next year.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 02:48:47 PM »
Here's to next year indeed that's if we haven't all gone mad by then.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal