We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Not a 100% plant related question  (Read 684 times)

Jo Bogaerts

Not a 100% plant related question
« on: September 17, 2020, 05:41:40 PM »
Hello , I have a question not 100 % plantrelated , so if not wanted , please remove it.

Can somenone ID this please ? Is it a fungus ? muchroom? or insect nest? which ?
on an Oak in Provence(France)  in August . THe same tree had some 10 times this  , no other tree around.
Never seen before and after. Thanks in advance !  nice regards  Jo
I had 33 years a Perennial Plant nursery for wholesale and private custumors. Now on pensoin and enjoying plant and wildlife around here in Belgium  , in different Europaen countries and a fan of Southern African wildlife. With focus also on botanical findings and loving to photografe Wildlife.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Not a 100% plant related question
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 06:06:42 PM »
How  fascinating!   An oak gall of  some  sort made  by  a  wasp, I believe- perhaps  one  of these :
https://www.naturespot.org.uk/species/knopper-oak-gall-wasp

https://notesonaspanishvalley.com/2013/10/03/oak-galls/
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jo Bogaerts

Re: Not a 100% plant related question
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 07:06:53 PM »
Thanks Maggi Young ! also for your links . It seems to be a gall wesp (one of many)
It look totaly different from the gall we know in Belgium. So we hesitate.. Thanks.
I had 33 years a Perennial Plant nursery for wholesale and private custumors. Now on pensoin and enjoying plant and wildlife around here in Belgium  , in different Europaen countries and a fan of Southern African wildlife. With focus also on botanical findings and loving to photografe Wildlife.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal