We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Pests  (Read 24539 times)

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
Re: Bulb Pests
« Reply #120 on: October 16, 2008, 11:25:06 PM »
It seems a good time to go out at night with a torch and look for cutworms which seem very active on my cyclamen in the greenhouse at the moment. They can be devastating if not caught.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #121 on: October 17, 2008, 08:14:05 AM »
Good idea, Tony! Two days ago I noticed that something has destroyed my dark wild Crocus medius.
Yesterday in the dark I took my flashlight and found two cutworms having dinner on my Crocus  >:( >:(
Of course it was their last dinner  ;D
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #122 on: October 17, 2008, 12:15:04 PM »
Luc is is very unlikely to be the same bird every year. Sorry to burst your bubble! Small birds dont live more than a year or two.

Mark,

I thought about this comment a few days ago when I was having a discussion with a local birder .... I hadn't realised that small birds in Europe were so short-lived.  Some of the aussie birds are somewhat more robust it seems.  We have something locally called a White-browed Scrub-wren (I also found out that none of our "wrens" actually are related to the real wrens, despite looking like them) which is a small bird that would fit in the palm of my hand and studies of wild birds have recorded individuals living up to 17 years (that I think is the longest lived record for a wild bird).  Apparently a lot of our small birds can live for quite a long time, unlike similar birds in the northern hemisphere.  I'm not sure I would have noted it so much, except that I recalled this comment by you last month.  I'm so glad you made it, as it meant I noted something I quite possibly wouldn't have otherwise.  Thought you might be interested to hear that some of our birds buck the trend!  ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal