We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Flowers and foliage Dec 2008  (Read 8979 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Flowers and foliage Dec 2008
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2008, 10:32:15 PM »
Paul, Gerd, Ashley et al, I will copy the last few posts about the phosphorus tolerance etc to the other thread, as suggested by Paul. Please continue the discussion there . Thanks!

This is the page : http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=2363.new#new
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 10:37:01 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2008, 10:45:15 PM »
Thanks Maggi.  I didn't want to interrupt it, but I thought it would probably be helpful to have it in the topic with the Aussie natives, as I am sure there are others who would wonder why the whole P thing.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2008, 01:51:39 PM »
Still some colour in the garden as 2008 comes to a weary close in spite of the current cold spell.

Campanula portenschlagiana (I think!) of which I have numerous clumps around the garden and there always seems to be at least one of the clumps in flower whatever the time of year.

An unknown Hebe which flowers in Autumn through to late Spring.

Another of my seedling Penstemon, this one a pinky white with yet more flowering spikes to come.

A close up of the flower of Viburnam x bodnantense 'Dawn' which again seems to start flowering in early Autumn, then has a couple of weeks off, before flowering again and continues until mid Spring.

A pot of garden centre bought Cyclamen which has been in flower now since early October.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2008, 04:46:52 PM »
Thanks to all for showing the different climatical conditions from frosty scotland to not so cold devon!Still a bit further south I took some photos in my garden of:

Iris planifolia - widespread in the mediterranean, but not occuring on the Balearic Islands
Canarina canariensis & Lavandula pinnatifida, two canarian endemics
Narcissus x italicus (?)
Ruscus aculeatus (with some fine neighbours 8) ;))
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2008, 04:54:52 PM »
Bet you were warmer than I was today Hans. My temperature got to 7C and still with a cold wind from the East making it feel much colder. Lovely Iris by the way.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2008, 05:05:18 PM »
Thanks David, yes it was a bit warmer (about 10ºC) -  it was the first beautiful day and there is still snow on the mountains...
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2008, 05:28:43 PM »
I love that Canarina canariensis Hans, but would have to grow it in heat which we don't have.  I go and admire it in a local nursery now and again :-\
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal