We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: AGS Exeter  (Read 7855 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: AGS Exeter
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2009, 10:34:53 PM »

David, I had thought of doing a blog or two later in the year about shows and what happens behind the scenes. 

Diane, I for one would be very interested in reading about what goes on behind the scenes at a show.
Never having been to one and never likely to, I'd like to read about everything from start to finish.
Am sure there are others like me who would love to know more. ;D ;D

Well, it starts very early in the year, or even in the previous year with the Show Secretary  booking the hall and contacting nurserymen to see who wants to come. Then there's the booking of the tables, the printing of posters, the organising of adverts, free and paid for, the writing of press releases to tempt some free publicity, the working out of rotas for the teas, the door, the stewards, the judges to be invited. The checking of the table coverings, for show hall and tea room, and kitchen supplies, the decision about what kind of soup to make ....and... and.... how much would you like to discover.... it's a long story .... then you get on to the tasks  of the exhibitors......that's another long story.....then's there's the day and the aftermath....the whole jingbang is quite an epic! :o 8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Dionysia

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2009, 01:07:05 AM »
There has to be a touch of masochism attached to showing. Whilst I can't speak for the organisation of the show itself, getting the plants ready is a major undertaking. On Friday I get home from work at 7.15 am and after taking Gill to work, battle commences. The pots will have already been cleaned and new top dressing applied before the Friday. Despite this it can take up to six hours on a Friday giving a final spruce up, relabelling and boxing the smaller plants in B&Q collapsible boxes. The bigger pots (20cm and above) go direct in the car but it is of course a jigsaw without a picture as it is always different plants from the previous show. It's not usually possible to load the car until the sun is setting in case they go over. By the time I go to bed at say 10pm I'll have been up for around 30 hours. On a long trip (Kent show is 160 miles each way) we might need to start at 5am to get a good parking space. When you've got 42 plants as we had at Kent this year, you don't want to be carrying them too far. If you're lucky you then get some time to relax, if you're judging that rest must wait a few more hours. At the end of the show the plants need to go back in their previous positions or you've got no chance so it's a good idea to draw a plan. There then follows a two or three hour drive home and guess what, the plants need to be taken out of the car. If your tired (and who wouldn't be) you leave it until Sunday morning but then you have to get up early so the sun doesn't fry them in the car. Finally they have to be put back in their homes after a quick drink (the plants) unless of course they won't be going to another show in which case you might want to remove the flowers. On Sunday last I spent 6 hours taking the flowers off more than 30 Dionysias, 8 of which were 30 cm in diameter. So you see, we are mad but I hope people enjoy them vicariously. :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 01:10:35 AM by Dionysia »
Paul
 in Chippenham

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2009, 08:49:10 AM »
 ::) ::)
And I thought it was a hardship having to get up at 04.00 a.m. to get to the Kent or Harlow show just to have a look at it...
 ::) ::)

Again, my deepest admiration for all involved in these one of a kind shows !!!  :D :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2009, 11:47:13 AM »
The Exeter was wonderful as always but I had to zip round quickly cos I had to go across to the south east. Sorry I missed you David :( my eyes were glued to plants  :) but congratulations on your results  :D

I took a few pics but didn't photograph the labels as well which was a mistake  ::) However here are some Dionysias just to remind us what a fiddle taking flowers off must be  :o  They were absolutely stunning.

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2009, 11:59:03 AM »
And some more pretty things  :) :)

maggiepie

« Reply #50 on: March 31, 2009, 12:16:48 PM »

Diane, I for one would be very interested in reading about what goes on behind the scenes at a show.
Never having been to one and never likely to, I'd like to read about everything from start to finish.
Am sure there are others like me who would love to know more. ;D ;D

... how much would you like to discover.... it's a long story .... then you get on to the tasks  of the exhibitors......that's another long story.....then's there's the day and the aftermath....the whole jingbang is quite an epic! :o 8)
[/quote]

All of it Maggi, especially the exhibitors, the trials and tribulations, the funny bits, I bet there are lots of great stories.

There has to be a touch of masochism attached to showing.

Paul,  thanks for your input, it really helped see into the life of an exhibitor  ;D
Can't imagine carting 42 plants around ( unless it is a trip home from the nursery  ::))
It sounds both exhausting and fun and a full time job, but without people like you, people like me would never get to see these beautiful plants in all their glory. ;D ;D ;D
Helen Poirier , Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2009, 02:26:01 PM »
A wee note about "the Chesterfield Show"..... this is the

AGS North Midlands show, Saturday, 4 April 2009 - 12.00 noon to 4.00 pm
at BROOKFIELD SCHOOL, CHATSWORTH ROAD, CHESTERFIELD  S40 3NS
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal