We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Haggeher Mountains  (Read 8072 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Haggeher Mountains
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 10:17:41 PM »
Interesting that others see the comically conical Adenium obesum subsp. sokotranum as a rodent.. I see a sea lion with a lettuce in his mouth!
How were you able to visit this wonderful place, Frazer? Was it a work-related trip?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2007, 10:49:10 PM »
Maggi

Just decided to go for a 2 week jaunt to Socotra followed by a further week in Yemen near to Sana'a the capital (see Jebel Kwkaban thread)

Booked a flight out to Yemen via Qatar. Then another flight from Sana'a to Socotra. All very easy, just need a small rucksac, stout boots and a sleeping sheet!

Trekking in the Haggeher required camels to convey food, tents etc. Otherwise travelled around with 4 wheel drive with hired driver/guide. Good roads are now being built ...which means that everywhere is now more accessible (and prone to disturbance).

Not many tourists - no more than 1500 per annum and mainly Italians who spend the time on the beaches - which stretch for white mile after white mile. The main town Hadibo is not very appealing. One has to remember that the island has gone from a barter economy to the mobile phone era in only about 15 years.

I'm tempted to say to folk don't go for fear that it will be spoiled - on the other hand the plant life is absolutely amazing; over 37% of species are endemic (and unusual) and for the botaniclly minded the island provides a range of habitat types from coastal mosaic, through succelent shrubland and semi-evergreen wodland to montane vegetation. Something for every botanist!
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2007, 10:56:15 PM »
Just decided to go for a 2 week jaunt to Socotra followed by a further week in Yemen near to Sana'a the capital
Good grief! You must be the first person I know who has gone to the Yemen on HOLIDAY! :o Seems like it was a pretty good idea, though, judging by these photos os such interesting plants and beautiful mountains

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2007, 11:03:42 PM »
I thought people went to the Yemen to kill or be killed!

Maggi I thought seal lion too, or rather, seal or sea elephant, with SEA lettuce in its mouth. But Mark's rodent somehow struck a chord with that (well-known) shape :-\
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2007, 12:02:31 PM »
Frazer,

What a remarkable place.  What remarkable plants. You give us tantalising glimpses of a flora that is so unlike anything that is known to me - the only thing I would recognise is the Hypericum.  The Socotran cucumber tree (Dendrosicyos socotrana) seems like a product of a bizzare imagination and would not be out of place in a Dr Suess story. I guess the Socotran Dragon tree is not too dissimilar to Draceana draco from the Canaries which I have seen growing in the Sydney Botanic Gardens

Very much appreciated your posting - Have you any more pictures.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2007, 08:00:57 PM »
There are more pictures of succulents from Socotra and Yemen on the following website:

http://www.aiaps-photos.org/contributeurs.en.php with links in French and English

Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2007, 03:15:40 AM »
Interesting that others see the comically conical Adenium obesum subsp. sokotranum as a rodent.. I see a sea lion with a lettuce in his mouth!
How were you able to visit this wonderful place, Frazer? Was it a work-related trip?

Maggi,

I can see this developing into a psychological test if we're not careful.... along the lines of the ink blot test but involving Adenium obesum subsp. sokotranum.  Of course depending on what youre answers are you may have a visit fromthe men in white coats who'll take you on a holiday, but to an institution not to Yemen!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2007, 12:17:04 PM »
Worrying though that, Paul... we'd better be more careful! Wonderful plants and landscape if we were to be carted to the Yemen, though, eh?

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2007, 03:48:08 PM »
All

If anyone wants to find out more about the island may I recommend contacting Abdullateef Saad who runs an efficient and highly recommended local eco-tourism company (with English and Italian speaking guides) and can be contacted at ecosocotra@socotraisland.org   His local tours are extremely competitive.

Frazer

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2007, 04:04:56 PM »
Most useful, Frazer, thank you.

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2009, 08:28:37 PM »
I've just found out that Greentours are likely to be running botany/birding tours to the island of Socotra in late 2009/early 2010. Whilst that will prove beneficial for those not fond of independent travel I do feel that there will be a inevitable rush of visitors, as the various tour companies vie for trade, and the island will be irretrievably affected - especially since Italian companies have been arguing for a long runway at the airport to facilitate their international flights!

Well I suppose I must be less selfish and be resigned to the fact that even Eden didn't last long!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal