We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Catching Seed  (Read 2990 times)

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
Re: Catching Seed
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 05:52:01 PM »
I have used Brian's suggestion of using horticultural fleece. Being a first aider I cut the fleece into small triangular bandages and tied these up with raffia.it looks as if there has been a lot of minor accidents around the garden but, hopefully, they will do the trick.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 10:36:59 AM »
In some instances (like Corydalis solida and relatives) it makes sense to cut the stalk and put it in a vase above a piece of paper. It is not of help if one is away for a long time but it is a way in a short absence.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Ed Alverson

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 05:03:30 PM »
Around here, people have used pieces of wedding veil fabric to sew little bags that are then tied on to the flower stems to catch the seeds when they mature. 

Ed
Ed Alverson, Eugene, Oregon

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 05:52:04 PM »
Around here, people have used pieces of wedding veil fabric to sew little bags that are then tied on to the flower stems to catch the seeds when they mature. 

Ed
very fitting. One proliferation helps the other ;D ;D ;D
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2009, 08:34:19 AM »
It depends on the plants and the size of seed head.  Years ago, I observed at Ashwood nursery, cotton bags on the seed heads of hellebores and I adapted this for hepatica seed.  I first used fleece cut into squares and tied on with string, but now I use tea bags.  Tea bags would not be big enough for largere plants and they would go soggy outdoors but under glass they are fine. 
I find new, emptied teabags are fine outside (on Hepaticas). They dry out very quickly.

some fancy tea shops have larger/longer tea bags which they fill from loose tea upon ordering, per cup..those i think would be great for a slightly larger seed head....

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal