We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Forming odd bulbs  (Read 2188 times)

johnjearrard

• Jearrards Herbal
Forming odd bulbs
« on: March 10, 2010, 10:59:24 PM »
Chad gave me a bulb of 'Spindlestone Surprise' this afternoon, and in the process unearthed these curious bulbs forming. Two bulbs in a line on the same axis (and there was possibly a third lower down). Anybody seen it before?
John.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Forming odd bulbs
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 11:02:26 PM »
Yes I've seen it. The plants want to be deeper and repositioning the bulbs
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Ezeiza

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 11:32:59 PM »
This is common in Rhodophialas. Of course the bulb waste a lot of energy in producing a "deeper swelling". It is indicating as Mark says that the plant desperately seeks depth.

Does anyone know how deep are Galanthus bulbs found in the wild?
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 01:25:21 AM »
John - I was asked to dig a fair number of bulbs from a nearby stand of G. nivalis. Of maybe 500-800 bulbs that I dug I saw only a few offsets, most were these same sorts of swellings.  Curiously like yours none of the bulbs - normal or otherwise - had tunics, they were all healthy and snow white.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 07:57:26 AM »
Yes I've seen it. The plants want to be deeper and repositioning the bulbs

I've seen this too but thought it was the reverse, the bulbs are too deep and are repositioning themselves by forming a new bulb a little way up the stem.  I think to go deeper they have to haul themselves down by the roots.

A bulb needs roots to take up water and nutrients so I think it is fair to assume that it is the bulb with the roots that is the original and is fuelling the repositioning process.  This certainly isn't the topmost bulb but we cannot see if there is a third bulb below the two on the right.  When I saw this, the bottom bulb had roots and the upper bulb was just forming.  
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 08:07:28 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 12:52:35 PM »
I always thought the same as Alan when I have seen this happening (ie they are trying to place the bulb nearer the surface).  I've also noticed it happening with Bluebell bulbs.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

johnw

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 04:09:47 PM »
Just to confuse matters many of these swellings here were running horizontally in the soil.   Were the bulbs searching for a drier or moister spot?  Perhaps even a richer spot but why not just offset the normal way and elbow your way into a new site rather than making a beeline?

Thinking back the garden was on a good slope, maybe it was easier and quicker to send a runner uphill to get deeper than to go straight down. ???

johnw
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 04:13:03 PM by johnw »

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 06:28:56 PM »
Just to confuse matters many of these swellings here were running horizontally in the soil.   Were the bulbs searching for a drier or moister spot?  Perhaps even a richer spot but why not just offset the normal way and elbow your way into a new site rather than making a beeline?

Thinking back the garden was on a good slope, maybe it was easier and quicker to send a runner uphill to get deeper than to go straight down. ???

johnw

Wow.  8)  Thanks John.  That has got my brain going overtime as to the purpose for these 'new bulbs' developments.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 06:58:08 PM »
I see the enlongated bulb on bluebells that are pot grown
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Chad

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 08:22:24 PM »
Does anyone know the anatomy of these?  If I cut them up would I get more plants?  This was a small but congested group of  'Spindlestone Surprise', and I have replanted each 'chain' as if it was one plant at the original depth; but in better soil and now well spaced from its neighbours.

Chad.
Inland Cornwall

johnw

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 08:46:57 PM »
Does anyone know the anatomy of these?  If I cut them up would I get more plants?  This was a small but congested group of  'Spindlestone Surprise', and I have replanted each 'chain' as if it was one plant at the original depth; but in better soil and now well spaced from its neighbours.
Chad.

Might be interesting to attempt a twin-scaling on the swollen bits. They certainly would be cleaner on the interior than a shooted bulb.  I don't have the Bible nearby but seems there is a brief mention of these in it, at work and can't check, only the gideon here.  ;)

johnw

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal