We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen around Lago di Garda  (Read 8058 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: Cyclamen around Lago di Garda
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2009, 06:18:10 PM »
OK, Cohan, -45° could be called "very cold". The -24° we had here last winter were not the
standard winter temperatures (-10°).  However, give purpurascens a try or you will never know.

Pat, I often have my ph-meter with me when travelling, and if I think of it I measure the soil.
Will keep your wish in mind, when I'm posting photos from my plant journeys next time.

thanks thomas-- i will try it sometime--lori in calgary--just a bit warmer on average than me, and less snow, and john in the east of canada, are both growing C purpurascens, so it should grow here too...

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2009, 07:19:17 PM »
Thomas, very nice

Curious, can one smell the scent in the air/breeze, with so many flowers open at the same time? 

arillady

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2009, 11:51:47 AM »
Thanks Thomas I will appreciate hearing the different PH levels - other plants growing in the vicinity is also very interesting.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2009, 03:24:18 PM »
Thanks Thomas I will appreciate hearing the different PH levels - other plants growing in the vicinity is also very interesting.

Pat, the largest plants were found in pure pine needle humus, with nothing else growing there
exept some single grasses and a few Campanulas. Only rarely the sun shone on the plants.
So far I thought Cyclamen would do best in beech humus, but the plants in found under beeches
were not half as big as the ones under pines. Perhaps due to other vegetation growing much
better there (sorry no names).

Hope this helps
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

arillady

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2009, 11:10:42 AM »
I had read that Cyclamen liked pine trees so I did move some seedlings there but then decided that they did better in our conditions in the nursery under shadecloth - bit too dry here.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2009, 07:09:57 AM »
Thomas,

Just ventured into the "Travel/Places to visit" section and of course came into this topic pretty quickly.  ;D Seeing the purps carpeting the area...... breathtaking.  I can only imagine the perfume on a warm day. :o  Some stunning leaf forms in there, that is for sure.

I have to say 'Thanks' for the larger version of the panoramic view. With a larger computer monitor the first shot was pretty pointless, but the larger version showed so much more.  An impressive mountain, set off beautifully by the sea.

Thanks for inviting us on your holiday!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2009, 01:06:29 PM »
Thomas,
I have to say 'Thanks' for the larger version of the panoramic view. With a larger computer monitor the first shot was pretty pointless, but the larger version showed so much more.  An impressive mountain, set off beautifully by the sea.

That's exactly what I thought about the small panoramic view, when I saw it reduced first time.
But I posted it even so because there are still people outside having just a small monitor.
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal