We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Small Odd S.A. Species  (Read 1959 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Small Odd S.A. Species
« on: August 13, 2009, 01:01:52 AM »
hi all, i'm looking for seed of miniature (at home in no more than a 10cm pot for some years, horizontal spreading is ok) south african bulbs and succulents--the plants in the link below are perfect examples! but also very interested in Conophytum, haworthia, bulbine, etc;
-plants which are interesting in foliage even more than in flower (coloured, textured, hirsute or succulent  leaves;i do like grassy leaves, but only if very small, and preferably tough/glaucous)
-particularly wintergrowing sp, though i make exceptions for really interesting plants, such as some lovely ledebourias..

see some awesome ornithogalums here..
http://www.penroc.co.za/newsletters2009/julaug/julaug.html

habitat collected seed is ideal, or seed from plants grown from it, no hybrids apart from those occurring in the wild...
i'm interested in private sources, or commercial sources with viable seed!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Small Odd S.A. Species
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 09:44:03 PM »
Those are amazing plants all right and I like the more hirsute forms. I know several men who have just about the same amount of growth on their faces. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 11:28:31 PM »
Those are amazing plants all right and I like the more hirsute forms. I know several men who have just about the same amount of growth on their faces. ;D

i probably would too if i left it ;)

i guess many of these SA plants are probably hardy for you  with your semi-winter?.. even some Conophytum experience snow and ice... well, a few are hardy even here (delosperma etc), so must be tons for your climate

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 10:10:12 PM »
Alas, Penroc ask for a minimum order of US$60, which counts me out. :(
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 11:56:28 PM »
re: Conophytum seed etc.

Cohan  / Anthony

Check out Koehres in Germany.  Very dependable seed and a huge selection. A large Lithops seed list last time I ordered.  The summer growing Mesembs were not a problem here under glass, the winter growers were another matter.

http://www.koehres-kaktus.de

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 06:46:00 AM »
Alas, Penroc ask for a minimum order of US$60, which counts me out. :(

i combined an order with friends; their seeds are not cheap, so it doesn't take many to reach that figure!--average (last year) maybe 12 species...their list is still the most exciting one i have found in terms of species with locality data, and really interesting forms; some lists, esp of bulbs, focus too much (for my taste, of course) on pretty flowers, not enough on cool plants!
unfortunately, we had dismal results with bulbous species(and a few succulent sp that need fresh seed), though a friend who ordered caudiciform species fared better..
happily, i have corresponded with them recently, and was told that the current managers of the seed business are still trying to sort out what was left them, and get rid of old non-viable stock, so they will replace those species that did not work for us...

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 06:48:13 AM »
re: Conophytum seed etc.

Cohan  / Anthony

Check out Koehres in Germany.  Very dependable seed and a huge selection. A large Lithops seed list last time I ordered.  The summer growing Mesembs were not a problem here under glass, the winter growers were another matter.

http://www.koehres-kaktus.de

johnw

i have looked at them in the past, can't remember what i saw, may be i looked at a time when there were no more funds for seeds anyway...lol

speaking of winter growers, have a new leaf emerging on my one Eriospermum, amazingly, just about exactly the time it emerged last year, which was just a short time after receiving it from germany via florida!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal