We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Surprising seed to flowering times  (Read 1276 times)

Calvin Becker

Surprising seed to flowering times
« on: October 04, 2009, 06:01:06 PM »
I ordered a whole lot of Sparaxis seed from Silverhill this year. All were sown in April 2009. Just over two weeks ago I noticed a bud on one plant of Sparaxis villosa. So that's just shy of 5 months from sowing to first flowering. Any ideas as to why this single plant would mature so quickly?
Plant pathologist (in training)
Johannesburg/Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Surprising seed to flowering times
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 10:15:53 PM »
Calvin,

Have you been dosing them with steroids?  ;D ;)

Seriously, sometimes I find seedlings amongst a batch that outgrow everything by a huge amount.  I think it just genetic variability.  I have rarely had any bulb flower in the first year from seed, but that is probably just my climate not being ideal.  Obviously you've just got your conditions spot on, so well done. I think that things like the Sparaxis can be very quick from seed (I'd never get one within 5 months though, believe me!  ::)), but I have definitely observed certain individual seedlings that grow so much quicker than their brethren that you almost start to wonder whether they're the same thing.

Well done on getting them going so well.  Congratulations! Isn't it a wonderful feeling!!  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 09:22:56 PM »
Many South African bulbous plants will do this, especially Sparaxis, Freesia, Moraea, Romulea, all those that used to be Lapayrousia, Anomatheca etc. Likewise Polyxena. Perhaps it's some kind of reaction to encourage seeding and therefore regeneration before a sometimes harsh climate kills them off.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Calvin Becker

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 03:58:27 PM »
It is a great feeling, just doesn't happen often enough! :P

Have checked on it again and it looks to be setting seed, must've been self-compatible as there were no other Sparaxis flower, I wonder if the seedlings will be as quick to bloom?

Would this be a genetic factor or an environmental factor or a combination promoting this?
Plant pathologist (in training)
Johannesburg/Pietermaritzburg, South Africa

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 09:47:50 PM »
I would expect it to be a genetic factor or.....sheer bloody luck! ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal