We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Growth 'check' do I have it right??  (Read 1304 times)

newstart

Growth 'check' do I have it right??
« on: October 25, 2009, 02:00:49 PM »
I have potted up some cerastium tomentosa,vebena small-vigourous ground huggers, Hypericum olympicum into 9 cm pots. They were cuttings taken with in humid sandwich boxes which roots well. I fear I am getting a little growth 'check' from transfering them from this warm condition to the potted up colder condition. This is what I do- 

On removing cuttings from humid sandwich box I pot them up into the the 9cm pot. I put them in a very slightly shaded growhouse with about 1/4 ventilation for 5 days. I then assume that they need more light and a little more ventiliation into the 2nd week and transfer them into another growhouse with full light given its end of october.

Given the time of year I may have been a little quick with hardening them to fast? Also the potting compost was left outside and could have made the roots to cold since they were in warm in sandw. box. previously(I have moved compost into shed now). The cuttings were a little small on rooting in few cases too. A small amount of plants are a little yellow,possibly cold damaged or checked.

Would be interesting to hear opinions on this. Many thanks for all the help.
David in Central England. Lots more still to learn!

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Re: Growth 'check' do I have it right??
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 06:31:23 PM »
I think you left it too late to pot on and would have been better to leave it until spring. Hardening is putting them out during the day and bring in at night. In a cold frame the lid would be off during the day and on at night.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

newstart

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 11:00:26 PM »
Okay I seems I have been roughfly about right in what I have done. Seems I need to vent less at night. As I say they are in a growhouse though. Can anyone comment on some of my points mentioned above it would be great to hear a little more about what people do in comparison to me. I am still very new to alpine growing having had experience of other areas mainly, but its always good to hear horticultural thoughts of others particularly on cultivation. thanks again!

newstart

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 07:46:19 PM »
Any more comments on my points above. Any one?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal