We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hybridisation question  (Read 1424 times)

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
Hybridisation question
« on: January 16, 2011, 04:16:03 PM »
What happens if we hybridise a spring flowering crocus with an autumn flowering crocus? :D
in Eskisehir / Turkey

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Hybridisation question
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 08:45:16 PM »
Logically, a winter or late autumn or early spring flowering crocus but the two would have to be compatible species in the first place, and then, take a fancy to each other in order to produce the seeds.  ;D Depending on which you wanted to be the mother and which the father, you'd have to preserve the autumn pollen safely for a few months or the spring pollen for many months.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 12:46:23 PM »
Janis, Ian Y or Tony G will have a good answer
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 01:00:36 AM »
Thank you for your replies :)

My question is not for crocus by the way. For any bulbous plant which has both autumn and spring flowering species.

Sincerely.
in Eskisehir / Turkey

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 11:55:33 AM »
Thank you for your replies :)

My question is not for crocus by the way. For any bulbous plant which has both autumn and spring flowering species.

Sincerely.
There are crosses between spring and autumn blooming daffodils, using autumn N. viridiflorus in attempts to rise spring blooming daffodils with green flowers. Regarding crocuses - they are quite conservative and interspecific hybrids are not easy, but I know about one cross between autumn and "spring" blooming Crocus, but used most likely was exceptional winter blooming form of spring Crocus. This hybrid isn't mentioned in my coming (when?) book, as I didn't know about this at time of last check of manuscript. Problem isn't only incompatibility of species but keeping of viability of pollens through winter/summer. I kept Tulip pollens for 2 month's to cross early blooming species with late bloomers. I read that it is possible to keep tulip pollens viable for next season in exicator at +2-4 C temperature, but never tried it. May be youcan keep spring crocus pot frosen at minus 1-2 C up to autumn and imitating spring in autumn to make cross then?
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Arda Takan

• Tulips and Frits.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 07:39:59 PM »
Thank you for your detailed reply Janis, I'll keep those in mind.
in Eskisehir / Turkey

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal