We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus Hyde Lodge wanted in California  (Read 2598 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Galanthus Hyde Lodge wanted in California
« on: January 11, 2010, 04:57:59 PM »
Friends, I have just received this query from Canada California.... can anyone help with a suggestion for supply of some bulbs of G. Hyde Lodge to California ?

"Hello,
My name is Diane Ferrabee Dirksen. My father, Guy Trevor Ferrabee, was born at Hyde Lodge near Chalford in Gloucestershire in 1898 and came to Canada as a small boy. He later came to California with his wife and two daughters. I am the youngest daughter - now 71 years of age. I visited Hyde Lodge, a beautiful home, when it was owned by Brigidier and Mrs. Matthais many, many years ago. At that time they had developed a special type of Snowdrop flower and named it "The Hyde Lodge Snowdrop."  I have found that these particular flowers are growing in the area of Dunblane, I believe, in Scotland.
Do you know of these particular flowers and who might be able to send me some bulbs? I, course, would pay for them and the shipping costs. It would be very exciting to have this bit of my family history to pass on to my 3 sons and 5 grandsons.
Could you please give any information you might have so I could contact someone.

Thank you,

Diane Dirksen

Santa Cruz, CA      "

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 05:28:47 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Galanthus Hyde Lodge wanted in California
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 05:16:50 PM »
This is California not Canada.

Diane  - Try Temple Nursery, POBox 591, Trumansburg, NY 14886-0591.  Send $5 for a catalogue.  No website but he has a good collection and may have Hyde Lodge.

Your climate may not be suitable for this particular Galanthus. I doubt you get enough if any cold.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 05:28:05 PM »
This is California not Canada.

:-[ So it is.... I jst saw the CA and jumped straight to Canada!
You are correct, John, it may not be feasible to grow the pbulb in California, even if it were available.  :(

It  also greatly complicates the issue because of the regulations regarding sending any plant material to the USA.  :P
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 05:29:55 PM by Maggi Young »

snowdropman

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 05:29:13 PM »
Maggi - Ronald Mackenzie (The Snowdrop Company) has been selling this for years, having received his original stock from Herbert Ransom, who gardened at Hyde Lodge - on offer at £10 bulb in the 2010 Catalogue, which was issued about a month ago.

When growing well, this is a fabulous snowdrop.

The problem here would of course be the difficulty of getting plants into the USA.
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 05:38:07 PM »
Thanks, Chris: I know you think very highly of this snowdrop.

I am glad to hear that it is being offered this year.... though the rigmarole of exporting/importing to the USA is a big hurdle.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 05:55:57 PM »
I hate to throw a spanner in the works, but I bought this from the Snowdrop Company two years ago and it is just like an ordinary reginae-olgae...or is it that it is not growing well Chris?
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

snowdropman

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 06:28:11 PM »
Brian - I am sure that Martin will come in on this thread, as he seems to have great success in growing it well - I seem to recall that the question that you raise was discussed at some length a year or two back?
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 06:36:32 PM »
Brian - I am sure that Martin will come in on this thread, as he seems to have great success in growing it well - I seem to recall that the question that you raise was discussed at some length a year or two back?

Yes we did touch on it last year as I was not the only one with it looking fairly ordinary. :-\

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 07:04:25 PM »
I bought it last year from Ron and it's ordinary r-o
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 10:44:29 PM »

Yes, various people complained last year that their 'Hyde Lodge' from The Snowdrop Company didn't look right. Some had been told it needed to settle down. Most of mine from The Snowdrop Company are right, but I do have one clump from the same source that is not correct, and it's been settled in for some years. I think there's been a mix-up somewhere. I lifted and chipped the majority of my true 'Hyde Lodge' last year, so should have plenty of spares in a couple of years.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 09:41:57 AM »
Thanks for your answer Martin, I am inclined to agree that there was a mix-up, but Dr Mackenzie was quite adamant that there hadn't been.  I related my experience once again merely because I thought that if it was bad cultural conditions they certainly wouldn't be any better in California and I thought the lady might need to be aware of this.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2010, 10:32:14 PM »
Friends, I have received this kind message of thanks from Diane:

"To Maggi Young and all who replied,

You cannot imagine my great joy in hearing from all of you regarding the Hyde Lodge Snowdrop. I am still searching for some bulbs and hope soon to

receive the catalog from New York. In years past, the United States could very easily receive bulbs and other plants from around the world but, of course,much has changed.

I will let you know if I ever find a bulb! Also Santa Cruz has indeed a very temperate climate but within a 4-hour drive, the temperature is currently below freezing - alas Fahrenheit.

Best regards,

Diane Dirksen"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal