We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: narcissus from seed rather than bulb  (Read 3713 times)

kaiserk

narcissus from seed rather than bulb
« on: May 17, 2010, 11:21:34 PM »
I am a novice gardener and new to the forum. How do I grow narcissus from seed? I have the pods (the green stem portion right under the petals) that seem to have three chambers with about 5-6 seeds (black or white pearlie ones) in them. Do I let them stay in the pod and dry? open the pod and dry? put them in soil? What is the best soil to get them started?
I dug these up from an old house where I lived so am very sentimental and dying to have them work.
Thanks
Kate

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
Re: narcissus from seed rather than bulb
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 11:28:18 PM »
Whoa, Kate! Have you wandered into the right place. Before checking anything else, read Ian Young's Bulb Log (you'll find links on this forum everywhere) and you'll get advice on sowing and germinating Narcissus from the best. Ian's pretty much pioneered a deep sowing technique that you should read about--and definitely employ.

Welcome!
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 12:38:03 AM »
You couldn't get beter advice than from Ian's Bulblog. Once you get going you'll soon become adept at it and addicted to it. Best of luck. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 10:09:18 AM »
Hello Kate, a warm welcome to you to this hotbed of bulblovers!

Ian's Bulb Log has masses of info for you: see here for the main page....
http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb........ it has been written each week since 2003 so I'll help you out by emailing you an article of his on seed growing. 8)

It is so satisfying to grow plants from seed and when there is an added sentimental attachment to those plants then so much the better..... good luck with your project.... you can find help here any time. 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal