We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Viable seed of Celmisia longifolia  (Read 1270 times)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Viable seed of Celmisia longifolia
« on: January 11, 2010, 05:41:25 PM »
The frosts of the last 3 weeks may have damaged our wonderful Celmisia longifolia and I was wondering if any forumists in the southern hemisphere could let me have some seed?  Ours did set seed last year and I sowed some but people have said that it is unlikely to be viable and nothing has happened yet.  So if anyone does have a pinch to spare and instructions on how to maximise the probability of gernination I would really appreciate it.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Viable seed of Celmisia longifolia
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 08:46:09 PM »
I think this is an exclusively Australian species. And maybe endemic to just Tasmania but I'm not sure of that. I don't have it or you would be very welcome to whatever seed there was.

So far as germination is concerned, collectors either in the wild or in the garden should drop each seed onto a sheet of paper and listen for the little click which denotes a seed with contents, or an embryo. So many have nothing in them or what is there is partially eaten by a small beetle. Fertile seeds also have a slightly plump person shape whereas infertile seeds are narrower and ferquently slightly bow (as in bow and arrow) shaped. It is helpful (or even necessary) to place fertile seeds individually by hand, upright in the seed mix, with just the pappus sitting on the top of the mix. In nature this is achieved by the seeds being carried by wind, even the lightest of breezes, and the weight of the actual seed placing it upright with the pappus erect.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal