We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Excess Wendy's Gold. Anyone for swapping?  (Read 5575 times)

jnovis

• crocusfile
Re: Excess Wendy's Gold. Anyone for swapping?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 11:25:15 PM »
With reference to the comments about Lyzzick,as far as I can remember,my plant was bought with that name. I was not aware of the history ref. Melvyn`s notes and could not see it on Marks list so assumed it was labelled correctly. As it appears to be wrong, could someone identify it ,please.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:28:25 PM by jnovis »
James (Jim) Novis,Horsham,West Sussex.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 06:01:17 AM »
Jim, I can't really see any difference between the snowdrop in your picture and an ordinary galanthus nivalis flore pleno.  A picture of the leaves is always a big help in identifying a snowdrop.  Where did you buy your plant?
Almost in Scotland.

jnovis

• crocusfile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 03:01:59 PM »
Hi Alan, I expect you are right. I think it came from a show at Wisley. As they say, back to the drawing board.
James (Jim) Novis,Horsham,West Sussex.

Eric Locke

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 11:06:44 PM »
Hello Paul,I went to Colesbourne last Sunday and it was well worth it. Make sure you also visit Cerney House Gardens (www.Cerneygardens.com) and Rococo Gardens at Painswick. I could offer a Galanthus Lyzzick (double) if of interest. Jim.
jJim, Alan is correct, it is not double so some confusion somewhere...
There have been a number of comments about Lyzzick on the forum so I will try and give some background. When I originally found the plant the factor that appealed to me was that it looked very robust and stood out from other plants in the area and when planted in my garden it settled down and increased really well. I gave it a name at that time more as a reminder to me of where it came from rather than anything else, in the way that most plants in a garden have a connection with people or places. From there the plant was sold by me at Cyclamen Society shows usually three in a pot for £3.50 , one purchaser subsequently did well with it at AGS shows and I found visitors to my garden would regularly point out the plant and ask if they could have a piece of it so by then the plant was gaining a momentum of its own. From there, as one forumist will remember, it was put on eBay, described as a rare snowdrop and was sold at a price significantly more than I asked for it. I then also put it on eBay and a similar thing happened.
So, is it a good snowdrop?, yes I think so, but not really so rare neither is it really exceptional but several who now grow it have written to me commenting on how pleased they are to have it.
I hope this is helpful.

I remember this well Melvyn. As I recall one £3.50 pot of Lyzzick was sold for around £130 on ebay the following weekend after my purchase from the cyclamen soc event. I have also passed this plant around  the continent and the UK for swaps and it has been much admired. I must admit however that this plant has struggled a little with me since.

Eric

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal