We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Archibalds seed catalogue  (Read 5231 times)

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
Archibalds seed catalogue
« on: January 10, 2010, 03:10:54 PM »
i have just been pointed in this companies direction for John Watson's chilean seed list does anybody know if they still do it as i've been to the website and it hasn't been updated for a couple of years.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 04:34:18 PM by Maggi Young »
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Archibalds seed catalogue
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 04:37:47 PM »
You need to apply by post for Jim and Jenny's catalogue, their website is not operational at the minute as fas as I know.
The address is :
Jim & Jenny Archibald, 'Bryn Collen', Ffostrasol, Llandysul, SA44 5SB, Wales, UK
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 05:15:24 PM »
Their October 2009 list doesn't have as much Flores and Watson seed as the previous 2 autumn lists, but it is still there  :)
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 10:06:46 PM »
Does John Watson do or still do a seed list?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 10:17:39 PM »
thats what i'm trying to find out as well lesley,have you heard of him before  because i hadn't.A very nice chap told me to seek his list out because his stuff is very good.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 10:46:41 PM »
I think that John Watson and Anita Flores Watson may only distribute their seed via the Archibald's list nowadays...... :-\ Someone will be able to help, I  hope.

I have an old note that they could be contacted via Martin Cheese... but no note of how old that note is! :-[

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 10:47:18 PM »
Does John Watson do or still do a seed list?  

Lesley, he hasn't done his own list for a few years, but his seed has been available through Jim Archibald's list.  
Yes, I'm sure Martin Cheese is still in contact with John and Anita, but he is not the contact for selling his seed as he was in the past.
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 10:52:16 PM »

I have an old note that they could be contacted via Martin Cheese... but no note of how old that note is! :-[

So not very notable then. ;D

Davey, John Watson has been around for many years and is an Englishman who used to collect in many parts of the world then eventually went to live in Chile, married a very charming Chilean woman called Anita Flores and concentrated on collecting seed of fabulous South American species, often high alpine and always exciting stuff. I think of JW as my next door neighbour because he lives quite close to the Chilean coast and I live very close to the east coast of New Zealand and there's only the wild blue yonder between us. ;D

The last seed list I had from Flores and Watson was in 1994 though there must have been some since then.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 11:30:26 PM »
John is an extraordinary chap... really nice bloke, who could talk the hindlegs of several herds of donkeys: he usually takes an alarm clock into his talks to try to keep to time and then switches is of after an hout and keeps going! Think of the duracell bunny.... on speed.... that's John. I have never met Anita, though I think she must be a remarkable woman.......or hard of hearing...... ;D ;) ;D

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 07:11:02 AM »
You need to apply by post for Jim and Jenny's catalogue, their website is not operational at the minute as fas as I know.
The address is :
Jim & Jenny Archibald, 'Bryn Collen', Ffostrasol, Llandysul, SA44 5SB, Wales, UK

by post! i thought it was already a tremendous hardship to send payment by post, nevermind to get the catalog that way ;)

EDIT: just thought i'd better make clear the dig was at myself for inability to post a catalogue request, not the archibalds for wanting to avoid the excess communication of email etc!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 06:26:16 PM by cohan »

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 07:40:52 PM »
I used the articles in the AGS Journals for 1973/74 of John Watsons trip to Chile as the basis of my visit to central Chile two years ago and took them with me. The terrain was just as described and the plants were exactly where he said they were.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Jean-Patrick AGIER

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 10:30:38 PM »
Hi Everybody,
It is very difficult to contact Jim & Jenny ARCHIBALD but they are very kind people being probably more than busy with their seed business. I've requested a catalogue some years ago and received it. I've placed an order quickly on receipt and they sent me the seeds. But last year they edited a 2nd catalogue from which I ordered but never received the seeds... I've e-mailed and written to them to no avail. I received the 2009/2010 seed catalogue, ordered very quickly, and I got the seeds.
Think this is quite simple...
John & Anita WATSON do not collect seeds anymore for commercial business. There had been some seeds collected by them on the AGS seed exchange 2 years ago ( if I remember well ).
J-P
Lyon / FRANCE

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal