We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lilium oxypetalum / nanum  (Read 1210 times)

jes

Lilium oxypetalum / nanum
« on: March 22, 2010, 11:20:28 AM »
Hello
I wonder if there is one of you can give me some advice about my new lilies.
What soil mixture should I plant "Lilium nanum" and how humid, and it is with feet in the shadows and face in the sun.
And the same question of Lilium oxypetalum v. insigne.

Spring smile from jes
Copenhagen - Denmark

Darren

Re: Lilium oxypetalum / nanum
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 01:02:05 PM »
Where are you Jes? I didn't do well with these until someone pointed out that these lillies don't like our extreme winter rainfall and mild winters in coastal NW England. If I put the pots in a covered frame and keep them just moist through the winter then they do OK. I know some growers use fish-box troughs and cover them in winter to keep the rain out. No doubt lots of people will now point out that they keep them submerged in their garden pond all winter without problems... ;)
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Lilium oxypetalum / nanum
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 04:51:14 AM »
My experience is that both these lilies like an alpine-type climate/soil mixture, with cool roots which never dry out and shade in summer after flowering and during seed set, which is generally prolific. They are, after all, alpine plants. Mine are mostly planted in coolish, humusy, gritty soil where gentians, dwarf rhodos, primulas etc do well. I doubt if they would like to be waterlogged.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal