We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Is this virus?  (Read 1572 times)

Mick McLoughlin

Is this virus?
« on: April 02, 2010, 01:26:29 PM »
I've noticed a couple of problems on plants I have and wondered if someone can say whether these 2 plants are virused or not.
The first is a Fritillaria minuta which I probably think is virused.
The second is a Lewisia columbiana rosea I'm not sure if this is virus or a rust of some kind, as the new growth looks healthy.
Hemsworth, West Yorkshire

Gerry Webster

Re: Is this virus?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 05:02:10 PM »
I've noticed a couple of problems on plants I have and wondered if someone can say whether these 2 plants are virused or not.
The first is a Fritillaria minuta which I probably think is virused.
The second is a Lewisia columbiana rosea I'm not sure if this is virus or a rust of some kind, as the new growth looks healthy.
Mick - I'm certainly no expert on virus but to my eyes your frit looks as though some sucking insect has been at the leaves. 
Afraid I know nothing about Lewisias.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Martinr

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 05:10:01 PM »
Mick, can't comment on the Frit but the Lewisia foliage is typical of older leaves on most Lewisias although I'm never sure if it is only a sign of ageing or, at least in part, due to Aphid damage. I certainly wouldn't worry about it except to remove the grotty looking ones before putting it on the show bench

Mick McLoughlin

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 06:15:43 PM »
Thanks for that Gerry and Martin. I'll keep an eye on them both then.

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 10:18:49 PM »
My immediate response to the silvery patches on the frit leaves was "thrips". This is just a gut response not backed up by any special knowledge, so don't place too much weight on it.

In your shoes, I'd get out my strongest magnifying glass and spend some time meticulously looking over the plant.

Gladiolus growers are old adversaries of thrips, and control is difficult, but infestations of them seem to be associated with overly dry, warm, still-air conditions.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Gerry Webster

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 10:40:47 PM »
I'd agree with thrips.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Eric Locke

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 10:41:48 PM »

Mick McLoughlin

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 11:02:48 PM »
I'll have a look for them over the weekend. They have been grown outside in a raised sand plunge so dry warm and still doesn't quite fit.
Thanks for the responses.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal