We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Mystery plant  (Read 1605 times)

PaulM

Mystery plant
« on: July 31, 2010, 06:34:56 PM »
This plant was posted in the June Journal of the Ontario Rock Garden and Hardy Plant Society and I personally have no idea what it is. I'm sure someone of you will know though.

Paul M. Olsson
Norrkoping
Sweden

Martinr

Re: Mystery plant
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 06:38:48 PM »
It's an Androsace akin to sarmentosa but I'm not expert enough to put a precise identity on it.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 08:43:50 PM »
It is often tricky to tell the difference between Androsace sarmentosa and A. studiosorum. :-X
The AGS Androsace Group says : "The 3-5mm long by 1-2mm wide, equally sized bracts which distinguish this species ( A. sarmentosa) from the similar A. studiosorum whose alternately large and small bracts are also larger at 6-13mm long by 2-3 mm wide."
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 02:31:09 AM »
Yeah, right. ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Darren

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 08:12:03 AM »
The good news: It is seemingly identical to a plant I have grown as A. sarmentosa for many years.

The bad news: Androsace expert David Mowle visited once and spent some time trying to decide if it actually was sarmentosa or not. No definitive conclusion was reached..

Whatever the name - it is a lovely, easy going plant and does fine in a trough without winter cover even in our wet winters. Some might find the shade of pink a little too brash. It once shared a trough here with the bright blue Veronica oltensis which flowers at the same time. The combination was certainly eyecatching.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Darren

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 08:24:27 AM »
In fact, here is a picture:

angie

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 09:46:03 AM »
Darren that's really is a eye-catching trough ... so much colour in one trough 8)
Hope that's a dead snail sitting there  ;D

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Darren

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 01:02:51 PM »
Thank you Angie, yes - it was an ex-snail!

We still have the trough but it has never quite looked so good since. The aquilegia and veronica faded away ( I can live without the former but V.oltensis is a lovely plant and I hope to get it again one day) and it has been invaded by Geum rivale seedlings. Another overhaul on my 'to-do' list!

The Androsace is still with us (The label says ' A. sarmentosa Watkinsii' , which I am told is a fairly meaningless name.) The Genista growing down the right hand side lives on also.

Tony Lee

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 07:00:41 PM »
Hello all,I find with my limited knowledge that A studiosorum flowers a month earlier than sarmentosa,That is assuming of course that my plants ar correctly named.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 07:17:46 PM »
Hello all,I find with my limited knowledge that A studiosorum flowers a month earlier than sarmentosa,That is assuming of course that my plants ar correctly named.

That's a handy reckoner for those with both types, Tony,thanks!   
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal