We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Not so much cultivation as propagation - Origanum  (Read 1587 times)

Mark Griffiths

Not so much cultivation as propagation - Origanum
« on: March 14, 2010, 02:57:06 PM »
Hi, I have a couple of old Origanum dictamnus in the greenhouse..they are both looking a bit iffy, starvation? too wet? too dry? too cold? just felt unloved? I have no idea..so I want to take some cuttings if I can find some material.

I think maybe it's too early, but has anyone had any luck at this time of year? Though I've taken cuttings many times before I get the feeling it might be tricky this time. I was thinking sand, under the bench, no plastic hat.

Mark
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Not so much cultivation as propagation - Origanum
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 08:32:23 PM »
I find this very tricky to propagate at any time to be honest. They seem to root all right then die when potted up. If it makes new growth I'd have a go then rather than on old season's growth. But if it's on the way out it may be worth chopping it in 3 or 4 pieces and potting them separately.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 09:20:27 PM »
Funny thing was first time I got this I was given two cuttings by Ralph Hayward (he was Joe Elliott's propagator, truely gifted and died tragically young)..I rooted both. I was trying to think when that would have been, it was probably 35 yrs ago..but I have a recollection of him showing me a Dionysia lammingtonii..so it would be about nowish I guess.

I know I propagated it that time round several times and because I currently have two, I know I did it several times within the last decade or so because I think I lost one a few years back we I moved here.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Oxford, UK

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 10:47:33 AM »
ok, I think I can update this now.

I got a 50% take which bearing in mind the quality of the tiny bits that were still alive is not bad.

So the cuttings were smaller and earlier than I would normally take, 1inch in March, dipped in rooting hormone, in sand with a plastic bag over the pot - plastic or clay gave me the same results.

I now have new growth and roots appearing out the drainage holes.
Oxford, UK

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 01:54:52 PM »
Would it not have been more effective/doubling the odds to try layering them?
Between Lyon and Grenoble/France -1500 ft above sea level - USDA zone 7B

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 02:01:41 PM »
the plant was moribund with just a few short live growths within the dying crown of the plant.
Oxford, UK

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 10:59:37 PM »
Well it sounds like a good result Mark, at least something retrieved and achieved. I don't know that my dictamnus has ever had anything that could have been layered, quite a compact tuft really, not like, say, 'Kent Beauty' which sends stolons everywhere - not that I mind. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal