We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Is planting bare root in october okay ?  (Read 1032 times)

newstart

Is planting bare root in october okay ?
« on: September 08, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »
I have some plants coming in october to plant in the open garden. If they are bare root with the cold nights do you think they will be affected when planting.  Or should I be more worried about using enough grit for drainage hence giving them a better start without water-logging. There is nothing frost tender amongst the ones I ordered and they are standard types often bought in garden centers not to difficult ones. I know some of the succulents eg Delosperma which are okay for the garden but require a lot of grit for over winter wetting problems should be watched. I can cover with one pond see through boxes from pound stretcher potentially.

David. thanks!
David in Central England. Lots more still to learn!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Is planting bare root in october okay ?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 11:09:46 AM »
If there is nothing frost tender in your expected plant  delivery then I cannot see any problem at all in planting them in October. If the ground were to be very wet at the time then some extra drainage added would be a good idea, but otherwise they should be fine.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

newstart

Re: Is planting bare root in october okay ?
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 01:56:17 PM »
Thanks Maggie. Seems I'm on the right track. Thanks for the confirmation.

David
David in Central England. Lots more still to learn!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal